Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: McKeowen's and all those cameras.

Re: McKeowen's and all those cameras.

Have you browsed http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/index.htm "Wooden Field Cameras of the United States: 1870's-1930's" ?

It likely won't answer your specific question, especially because large format cameras are more amenable to modification by the user, or likely to have been modified, than miniature cameras.

Red, the photographic goods industry was global almost from the beginning. The process was invented in France, improved in the UK and adopted world wide. There were camera manufacturers -- in the beginning all making what we think of as LF cameras -- in every European country. And then there's the US and Canada and ...

piercevaubel.com is a noble effort, but incomplete. Channing and Dunn's book on UK cameras and their makers, likewise. The OP asked for the sun, moon, stars and then some.

Well, to quote Langston Hughes, "In dreams begin responsibilities".
    I'm no scholar, and even Dr. Kingslake (who was there) wasn't at all comprehensive when he wrote his "History of Camera Manufacturing in Rochester, NY". Not even Todd Gustavsson knows, I'm sure.
    I can't begin to imagine the depth of research necessary for the whole worldwide story to be told. I should ask the question over on the Photo History forum, where I'm a lurker. But as usual, the problem would be funding the research- even if there was someone dedicated enough to tackle it.

(Shrek)

Given how German Riesekameras and British Field Cameras were made, I doubt it's possible to catalogue every manufacturer. But it should be possible to catalogue styles and date innovations.

It would also be near-impossible to catalog all the un-marked Japanese wooden cameras.

Sure quys, but what about all the known makers of branded or marked cameras? That would be a start.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Firearms are very valuable in many modes, utilitarian, fashion, antique, collectibles.

Cameras have always been in a race to obsolescence
    You mqake a good point.

No one has yet invented a real electronic rifle or digital pistol!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Red, the photographic goods industry was global almost from the beginning. The process was invented in France, improved in the UK and adopted world wide. There were camera manufacturers -- in the beginning all making what we think of as LF cameras -- in every European country. And then there's the US and Canada and ...

piercevaubel.com is a noble effort, but incomplete. Channing and Dunn's book on UK cameras and their makers, likewise. The OP asked for the sun, moon, stars and then some.
    I know, but the OP was asking for information on a Kodak 2D and Kodak, Eastman, Folmer and Schwing; so piercevaubel.com is a more promising place to find information than McKeown's.

We're about 150 years into the age of mass produced consumer products and the volume of stuff that has been made is torrential, and it all seems to be in Americans' basements. Sorting it out at best seems attainable by experts (aka obsessive amateurs) focusing on small niches. It may be true that there are fewer such resources for large format cameras - there may be fewer sources for credible detailed information on Linhof Technikas than on Yashica TLRs. On the other hand, this makes sense - there are a lot more Yashica TLRs out there than Linhofs.

I beg to differ, there are many new electronic ways to kill at distance

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    You mqake a good point.

No one has yet invented a real electronic rifle or digital pistol!
    Tin Can