Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McKeowen's and all those cameras.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

McKeowen's and all those cameras.

I was looking up something in my copy of Mckeowen's 2001 guide yesterday. I couldn't find what I was looking for but was (somehow for the first time) surprised by the huge number of run of the mill cameras and never remembered brands that fill most of the pages.

What I was trying to research is an item in a current offering on the-Bay for a Kodak 2D. There are many items in thi lot, and they look like they all belong together. It looks like there is a focal planer shutter hanging on the back of the 8x10 rear standard, but no mention of it appears in the description. I had inquired about that, but the seller is B&H and they couldn't be bothered to make a substantive answer.

so I got out my McKeowen's and tried to look it up searching using "Kodak, Eastman View and Folmer &
    schwing". Nothing helpful there. But what suddenly struck me was the HUGE number of ho-hum cameras that no one now ever thinks about; brand names and companies that are gone and forever forgotten; unremarkable cameras . . . .and cheap cameras. Not much in the way of large format view cameras or their lenses.

Now I regret having paid to buy the book twenty years ago.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: McKeowen's and all those cameras.

The guide is a listing of collectable cameras, but usually not listing the many accessories that build the camera system, so not a waste but a camera (collecting orientated) guide... At least many forgotten cameras are given space and mention there...

I think we have been spoiled by the internet, when before, there was little to no mention of many foto items floating around, but now, there is at least some mention and sometimes useful information online, often search results covering a broad sweep of the entire net...

Back then, much info was word of mouth, and some printed in books, magazines, and booklets... And maybe that guy at the camera store knows something about it... ;-)

Steve K

LF was not included as collectable, as they were still Professional usage when the last book came out

I read that in my copy, where ever it is hiding in storage

A recent rumor said they may publish an update
    Tin Can

Many LF cameras were modified by past owners, pros thought nothing about improving tools of the trade to suit their application.
    People are still doing that.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

(Shrek)

McKeowen's is a very dangerous book. I blame my Corfield Periflex collection on that cursed tome.

Yes, I can see the allure of that camera, big article about it online

I have always been a catalog, dictionary and encylopaedia reader since very young

Thus I studied the entire McKeowen tome last decade

really glad I don't have photographic memory

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    McKeowen's is a very dangerous book. I blame my Corfield Periflex collection on that cursed tome.
    Tin Can

I guess the twomain observations that came to me were:

The listing of truly collectable cameras are good overviews; Kodak and Leica for instance.

In the past, there were HUGE numbers of cameras that no one now has any memory of or interest in.

And lastly; there is a real need for a similar work on LF cameras and lenses . . .from 1839 to the present.

The field of firearms collecting is replete with overviews and detailed studies of specific small arms. I just do not see that in much out there on photographica. The Zone VI brand alone would make a good study for example.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    And lastly; there is a real need for a similar work on LF cameras and lenses . . .from 1839 to the present.

The field of firearms collecting is replete with overviews and detailed studies of specific small arms. I just do not see that in much out there on photographica. The Zone VI brand alone would make a good study for example.
    If you want to read it, write it. I award you one Mustafa for dreaming up a huge job and wishing out loud that someone would do it for you.

Firearms are very valuable in many modes, utilitarian, fashion, antique, collectibles.

Cameras have always been in a race to obsolescence
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I guess the twomain observations that came to me were:

The listing of truly collectable cameras are good overviews; Kodak and Leica for instance.

In the past, there were HUGE numbers of cameras that no one now has any memory of or interest in.

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Firearms are very valuable in many modes, utilitarian, fashion, antique, collectibles.

Cameras have always been in a race to obsolescence
    You mqake a good point.

No one has yet invented a real electronic rifle or digital pistol!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com