Thread: Crown Graphic Top Rangefinder Plunger Cap

Crown Graphic Top Rangefinder Plunger Cap

I have a nice old Crown Graphic that I'm really enjoying. I'd like to get the top rangefinder working. I think I should be able to get BBs that are very close in size to the original. I think I should be able to do without spacers, as it seems Graflex also did for some period. I should be able to turn a plunger on the lathe to whatever dimensions I need.

My challenge now, is the plunger cap. I feel like I'm going to probably have to fabricate or improvise a solution to this, but after thinking about it for a while, I'm not sure I have any great ideas about how to approach it. Does someone have a suggestion?

I was thinking I could drill a hole in a pen cap or something, and that might work. I'm not really sure. Does anyone know the O.D. of the tube?

Re: Crown Graphic Top Rangefinder Plunger Cap

I used to have a trf model, but no more. You might want to try the help board at Graflex.org.

A forum member has all the parts you need and more for $20.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...amp-misc-parts

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    A forum member has all the parts you need and more for $20.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...amp-misc-parts
    I looked through that, but I don't see the lower plunger or cap.

Yes, you are right. Looks like the tube assembly has been stripped. I feel your best solution is to find parts from a donor camera rather than trying to machine them yourself. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    Yes, you are right. Looks like the tube assembly has been stripped. I feel your best solution is to find parts from a donor camera rather than trying to machine them yourself. Good luck!
    I think I should be able to make it. I just need to use the follower rest because steel is pretty flexible at those diameters. I'm not seeing any donor cameras with those parts that I would sacrifice for the sake of mine.

For the cap, I have a couple of metal Presta bicycle caps that I think I might be able to modify to suit. Maybe a little rubber 'O' ring, or just a few layers of electrical tape will be in order. I have 500 of the 7/64" BB's, so I think I should be good to go when I get the chance.

I'm probably going to put this project off until November, because I want to use that camera to capture fall colors in a few weeks.