Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5x4 processing marks. Wetting agent?

Re: 5x4 processing marks. Wetting agent?

Thanks. They were in different holders.

Thanks Doremus.

I think you may have spotted the problem/mistake, on my part.

After the final wash, I was just adding a couple of drops of Photo Flo to the water in the Combi Plan tank, lifting the film carriage a couple of times to agitate, then hanging up without squeegeeing off the excess water.

As you correctly point out, this wasn't mixing the Photo Flo properly in the final wash. I will follow all your guidance above and we shouldn't have any more issues, finger crossed!

Cheers

Paul

After a bit of time using your fingers to squeegee the water off you will be asking us "what makes these streaks and marks on my film"?

If you have mixed the distilled water & photo flo right the water will drain off without your having to risk damage due to pressure from wiping it.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

David Schaller

I would also suggest doing the photoflo step in a separate tray, rather than in the tank. I do that, one sheet at a time, while the other sheets remain in the tank in the wash water.

Thanks David. That sounds like a good idea. That should allow the wetting agent to reach the film evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    After a bit of time using your fingers to squeegee the water off you will be asking us "what makes these streaks and marks on my film"?

If you have mixed the distilled water & photo flo right the water will drain off without your having to risk damage due to pressure from wiping it.
    I've been squeegeeing my sheet film using my index and middle finger for 30+ years and have never had streaks and marks. Being gentle is the key, along with mixing the wetting agent correctly. Of course, it won't work with rough, calloused fingers; that could scratch the emulsion.

However, just skimming the film gently with very little pressure to remove excess water won't leave a streak unless your wetting agent is not diluted enough.

But, I don't want to start a "to squeegee, or not to squeegee" discussion here; the object is to help the OP.

Certainly, if conditions are optimal, squeegeeing is not needed; the water will just sheet right off the film. So, let's recommend to the OP that if squeegeeing leaves streaks and marks on his film, he should definitely try without squeegeeing, but adjust the wetting agent dilution till it leaves no residue.

Best,

Doremus

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greeves View Post
    Thanks David. That sounds like a good idea. That should allow the wetting agent to reach the film evenly.
    It also keeps the photoflo out of your tank!