Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Should I get a center filter for my 65mm Nikon-SW f/4 & 90mm Sinaron-W f/6.8?

Re: Should I get a center filter for my 65mm Nikon-SW f/4 & 90mm Sinaron-W f/6.8?

So, after waiting for a hapless few weeks, I pounced on a flawless Rodenstock E67/86 center filter that was packaged with a 75mm Sinaron-W f/4.5.

My next question is: can I put a thin UV filter (B+W XS Pro MRC-Nano Digital, specifically) in between the Rodenstock center filter and either my 65mm Nikon or 75mm Sinaron-W?

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2566.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	208772

I ask because, since I have only one center filter to share among my three wide angle lenses (65mm, 75mm, 90mm), I'd like to at least keep a thin UV filter on them when the lens cap is off for protection.

Re: Should I get a center filter for my 65mm Nikon-SW f/4 & 90mm Sinaron-W f/6.8?

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    So, after waiting for a hapless few weeks, I pounced on a flawless Rodenstock E67/86 center filter that was packaged with a 75mm Sinaron-W f/4.5.

My next question is: can I put a thin UV filter (B+W XS Pro MRC-Nano Digital, specifically) in between the Rodenstock center filter and either my 65mm Nikon or 75mm Sinaron-W?

I ask because, since I have only one center filter to share among my three wide angle lenses (65mm, 75mm, 90mm), I'd like to at least keep a thin UV filter on them when the lens cap is off for protection.
    I do not reccomend you to ad an UV filter, no matter it´s one of superb quality, between lens and center filter. I´m sure most members of this forum do not use UV filters for protection. The filter will alter the distance between the lens and center filter glass, making the center filter work in a different way. If you want protection because of harsh or not much friendly environments, use the UV filter over the center filter, but use a bigger one with a steep up adapter in order to avoid vigneting problems. In this case I would suggest a 86-95 or better an 86-105 steep up adapter and a 95 or 105mm UV filter.

Foamer

I never use a UV filter and have never had a lens damaged in 40 years. I am an outdoor photographer and photo in all the conditions the Northern Plains can dish out. I do use lens caps routinely.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Drew Wiley

I use UV filters when I need to filter UV! My own experience with CF's is that an intermediate filter works just fine, whether a contrast filter for black and white work, or a corrective filter relative to color temp issues. Any hypothetical vignetting becomes a non-issue once the lens is stopped down to typical large format working apertures. BUT I've never owned very short WA lenses like 75 or 65, with small images circles which might be less forgiving in that respect. And with the big Schneider 120 Super Angulon, you have to use either a typical filter or thin spacer ring between the CF and lens, or the inner surface of the CF will actually rub against the bulging front element of the lens! There might similar cases as well.

What if you want to add a polarizer or grad ND filter?

Hmm, so is the consensus on this forum to not use a UV filter in between the lens and center filter? (If I'm reading what Drew said correctly, it should, however, be fine to do this for non-wide angle lenses.)

If that's the case, I apparently can't leave a UV filter on my lens to protect it. That said, what kind of lens cap or lens protection would you guys recommend?

I use Sensei lens caps. Of course, get the sizes you need. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...h_Snap_On.html

I also stick these holders onto the cap so it stays with the lens. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._for_Lens.html

If you need a step-up adapter, I use these. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_step_up.html
    Of course, get the sizes you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    [/url]

I also stick these holders onto the cap so it stays with the lens. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._for_Lens.html
    Ha! I use these religiously. They're on every lens I own.

Ha! I use these religiously. They're on every lens I own.
    I wish I could figure out how to use them for the back cap. Hmmm. Maybe, I could just add another one to each lens with the elastic holding band in front. But then, I'll have two caps hanging off the lens in use. Might work.

What a silly. You have the UV filter, you have the CF and you have the lenses. Why don't you just ask them whether they'll work well enough together.

Y'know, the front of the CF's diameter is 86 mm. There's a reason for this.