Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I get a center filter for my 65mm Nikon-SW f/4 & 90mm Sinaron-W f/6.8?

Re: Should I get a center filter for my 65mm Nikon-SW f/4 & 90mm Sinaron-W f/6.8?

I use a center filter on my 90mm Super Angulon. But then again I mainly use it on 5 x 7. I use it on 4 x 5 as well because - well, it's already on the lens.

Re: Should I get a center filter for my 65mm Nikon-SW f/4 & 90mm Sinaron-W f/6.8?

You guys are all awesome. I appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations. Another member here recommended a great site where I can get used Heliopan center filters.

I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions of where I might be able to get Schneider or Rodenstock center filters, save for eBay where they cost a fortune.

Hmm. Bargains can sometimes be found. I have four Rodenstock and Schneider CFs, the most I've paid has been $225 plus postage. But bargains don't come along very often. Just get one of Igor's Heliopans.

Your Nikkors 65 and 75mm would dramatically benefit from a center filter when you shot chromes. Any 67mm center filter with a 3X factor
    (1,5 stops factor) will do a decent job, but a 4X filter (2 stops factor) will do a much better job in my opinion. You can use a 4x center filter even with your 90mm. I purchased most of my center filter brand new, but as Dan says, if you are patient, you can find some bargains. I found some 67mm samples from 150 to 225 EUR.
    Of course, you can shot without center filter to emulate the effect o a GND filter, in my opinion, the effect is nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    You guys are all awesome. I appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations. Another member here recommended a great site where I can get used Heliopan center filters.
    Can you share?

igorcamera.com

If you shoot a gray card with the lens focused at close to infinity (on axis with the GG) with whatever film you are using, you can create a mask in Photoshop to even off the illumination over the entire 4x5 format. Then apply this mask over the image file of your 4x5 Chrome. Theoretically this should completely even off the illumination over the whole image area, and yes it will do a good job at this, but you will be introducing "contrast distortion" (in lieu of a better term to use) into the tonalities. My guess is that if the film's response was in a perfectly straight line you maybe would not see this, but the film's response is in a curved line. Also if you employ any lens movements, your carefully created mask will not work. Years ago I just acquired a center ND filter and have never looked back. All that being said, when shooting B&W, I really prefer having the falloff. FYI: Many years ago I had to shoot 8x10 Chromes with my 120mm WA Nikkor. Now Nikon never made any center filters for their WA lenses (pretty sure on this but not 100%). I used a FUJI CENTER FILTER GX617 90mm ND-2X filter. I still use it for shooting 8x10 B&W negatives which will be printed as Platinum/Palladium prints.

Why don't Nikon 90mm and Fujinon 75mm have their own center filters? Are their falloffs less than Schneider and Rodenstock 75mm and 90mm lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If you shoot a gray card with the lens focused at close to infinity (on axis with the GG) with whatever film you are using, you can create a mask in Photoshop to even off the illumination over the entire 4x5 format. Then apply this mask over the image file of your 4x5 Chrome. Theoretically this should completely even off the illumination over the whole image area, and yes it will do a good job at this, but you will be introducing "contrast distortion" (in lieu of a better term to use) into the tonalities. My guess is that if the film's response was in a perfectly straight line you maybe would not see this, but the film's response is in a curved line. Also if you employ any lens movements, your carefully created mask will not work. Years ago I just acquired a center ND filter and have never looked back. All that being said, when shooting B&W, I really prefer having the falloff. FYI: Many years ago I had to shoot 8x10 Chromes with my 120mm WA Nikkor. Now Nikon never made any center filters for their WA lenses (pretty sure on this but not 100%). I used a FUJI CENTER FILTER GX617 90mm ND-2X filter. I still use it for shooting 8x10 B&W negatives which will be printed as Platinum/Palladium prints.
    Greg: If lens movements change falloffs with center filter masks, are there falloffs with regular lenses, let's say 150mm, if you use movements or for that matter when you use center filters on 75mm lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Why don't Nikon 90mm and Fujinon 75mm have their own center filters? Are their falloffs less than Schneider and Rodenstock 75mm and 90mm lenses?
    They are the same. cos^4(theta) works the same for nearly all lenses. For a very few lenses the exponent is somewhat less than 4, but the effect is still the same, just not quite as large.