Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a free site that will host your images in their original full resolution?

Re: Is there a free site that will host your images in their original full resolution

Wet Plate has very high resolution, bigger is always better?

OBSCURA SHORT FILM | “TEN SECONDS OF THIS DREAM WERE RECORDED ON A 200 POUND SHEET OF GLASS COATED WITH COLLODION. THE RESULT WAS A 66”X 90” AMBROTYPE, WHICH IS RECOGNIZED AS THE WORLD’S LARGEST WET PLATE COLLODION IMAGE.”

Watch the video
    Tin Can

Dann Corbit

Re: Is there a free site that will host your images in their original full resolution

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Wet Plate has very high resolution, bigger is always better?

OBSCURA SHORT FILM | “TEN SECONDS OF THIS DREAM WERE RECORDED ON A 200 POUND SHEET OF GLASS COATED WITH COLLODION. THE RESULT WAS A 66”X 90” AMBROTYPE, WHICH IS RECOGNIZED AS THE WORLD’S LARGEST WET PLATE COLLODION IMAGE.”

Watch the video
    The sheer audacity to build a camera that large is awe inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I think that if you viewed an uncompressed JPEG image measuring 12,000 X 12,000 pixels, you would be sufficiently impressed that the pursuit of higher quality images for Web display would become unnecessary.
    Uncompressed JPEG is an oxymoron. The file format, by default, compresses into an approximation of the original image. While there is an uncompressed version of the standard, most libraries don't support it.

But you're right that a high-quality level will look pretty darned good. A png will look better, and still compress pretty well.

Personally, I like gallery systems that provide thumbnails, a small-size image, a large-size, and if desired, a full-size-- that way everyone is happy, even those with Huge Bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann Corbit View Post
    You are referring to an article written in 2008, when people were still trying to argue that "film is better than analog". It's 2020 now, digital has made major steps forward, analog stood still. In real life, digital now beats analog heads down when comparing apples to apples. Don't get me wrong: I love shooting analog, I love the 4x5" images I get from my Sinar and Tachihara. My love comes from the process and the physical aspects, holding a negative, developing a large fibre based print on beautiful paper in the darkroom, taking the time (=days at least) to get from exposure to a print. Posting tens or even hundreds of megabytes photo's on the internet is pointless since nobody will ever view them in that quality. Better spend your time and effort making beautiful darkroom prints!

Dann Corbit

Quote Originally Posted by Ron789 View Post
    You are referring to an article written in 2008, when people were still trying to argue that "film is better than analog". It's 2020 now, digital has made major steps forward, analog stood still. In real life, digital now beats analog heads down when comparing apples to apples. Don't get me wrong: I love shooting analog, I love the 4x5" images I get from my Sinar and Tachihara. My love comes from the process and the physical aspects, holding a negative, developing a large fibre based print on beautiful paper in the darkroom, taking the time (=days at least) to get from exposure to a print. Posting tens or even hundreds of megabytes photo's on the internet is pointless since nobody will ever view them in that quality. Better spend your time and effort making beautiful darkroom prints!
    I have a nice DSLR and a mirrorless camera. Both are made by Canon. I really like both of them, and especially the instant feedback of knowing you got the shot.
    I have 512 GB memory cards in them. When I put the new cards in, they say 9999 exposures to go. That is because that is the biggest number they can make in the exposures slot. It is actually more than that.
    But the resolution of a 4x5 camera blows my weakling 20MB cameras out of the water.
    The idea of having someone reclining in a chair, and at maximum aperture having both their feet and their face in crisply focus due to tilts and shifts is unmatched.

Yes, you save a zillion dollars with the digital stuff. And the pictures really are great, and almost equal to 35mm at my 20MP level.
    But the large format stuff makes the kind of pictures that dreams are made of.
    Now, the incredible pictures on this site:
    https://vastphotos.com/
    were made with digital cameras. It took a huge number of actual photos stiched together to make them and they are about as nice as this one taken in a single frame:
    https://petapixel.com/2018/03/16/pix...10-slide-film/

The actual resolution of an 8x10 camera is about 4 billion 48 bit pixels. There are no scanners yet that can handle that.
    Eventually, they will make a high resolution back for large format that is digital and not absurdly expensive.

But for me, the thing that draws me is more art than process. And the people who are interested in large format are very interesting people.
    Have you noticed that?

Dann Corbit

Bam!
    {I tried to quote grat. Not sure why nothing showed up from the quote here}

The actual resolution of an 8x10 camera is about 4 billion 48 bit pixels. There are no scanners yet that can handle that
    4 billion pixels = an image of ~ 72,000 x 56,000 pixels from an 8x10 sheet of film.

To get that you'll need a scanner capable of 7200 DPI of resolution. That's the easy part. 7200 pixels per inch is 284 per millimeter or 142 lp/mm. To get that resolution, you'll need to stop down no further than f/11. So, on 8x10, you'll need to find a lens capable of over 140 lp/mm across the frame and also not stop down past f/11, which will vastly limit your ability to get enough DOF for many images, and yes even with movements.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that ain't happening. The resolution of film is one thing, actually achieving that kind of resolution in practice is another. Realistically, most newer digital cameras equal or surpass 4x5 if shot properly with a decent lens. I can show you examples of this from a camera released 8 years ago...I haven't even tried the newer 40-50mp DSLRs, which will surpass my earlier test.

Anyway, none of this really matters. I shoot film for the ability to print it in my darkroom and make handmade SG prints. Though, I now have the ability to print from digital files too to SG paper, so...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Dann Corbit

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    4 billion pixels = an image of ~ 72,000 x 56,000 pixels from an 8x10 sheet of film.

To get that you'll need a scanner capable of 7200 DPI of resolution. That's the easy part. 7200 pixels per inch is 284 per millimeter or 142 lp/mm. To get that resolution, you'll need to stop down no further than f/11. So, on 8x10, you'll need to find a lens capable of over 140 lp/mm across the frame and also not stop down past f/11, which will vastly limit your ability to get enough DOF for many images, and yes even with movements.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that ain't happening. The resolution of film is one thing, actually achieving that kind of resolution in practice is another. Realistically, most newer digital cameras equal or surpass 4x5 if shot properly with a decent lens. I can show you examples of this from a camera released 8 years ago...I haven't even tried the newer 40-50mp DSLRs, which will surpass my earlier test.

Anyway, none of this really matters. I shoot film for the ability to print it in my darkroom and make handmade SG prints. Though, I now have the ability to print from digital files too to SG paper, so...
    I guess that what combinations of equipment does best is a function of a lot of variables.
    This analysis:
    https://petapixel.com/2020/03/16/8x1...de-comparison/
    said that the 8x10 was better than the 50MP Hassleblad.

On the other hand, the 8x10 cameras are a lot more susceptible to weather affects and lighting effects than the digital stuff.
    Producing images with the digital stuff is far easier.
    But an 8x10 camera is not nearly so daunting for the initial purchase than the Hassleblad.
    I have digital cameras also (I am just getting my feet wet in LF photography).
    I guess that it will be quite a while before I can create excellent images with LF equipment.
    I doubt if I could ever afford a $50K digital camera, but the quality of the images of consumer grade digitial cameras rises every year too.
    They already have 100MP phone cameras, and someone is working on a 500MP sensor.
    At some point, a heavily cropped image will exceed the human eye's resolving power.

But I think that the LF stuff will survive all of this because there is more to an image than pixels.

Bam!
    {I tried to quote grat. Not sure why nothing showed up from the quote here}
    I'm unspeakable.

BTW

everything we write, say, post is stored in our permanent record

Redundantly copied for digital eternity

i prefer our “wet work’ prints that may escape ‘the man’
    Tin Can