Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a free site that will host your images in their original full resolution?

Re: Is there a free site that will host your images in their original full resolution

because that is only 120,000 images at 1GB each
    .... You really intend to take, develop, scan, and upload that many images?

I respect ambition.

jpg @ 85 or higher quality is pretty good.

png is, as you say, lossless, but it does compression

Since I had a 1GB TIFF (6x6 @ 6400 PPI / 48 bit) available, I decided to test the various formats:

TIF (1083 MB)
    PNG (240 MB)
    JPG (21.7 MB)

Re: Is there a free site that will host your images in their original full resolution

Scanners on the market today are somewhat not doing justice to what's recorded. It's only a matter of time before big scans are quaint and beaten by DSLRs used as toys.
    Images put on the Internet are sized and adjusted for their intended use, and the original scan is just a raw material from which to make those jpegs and such.
    It's not practical for much of any other purpose except as a backup to the negative or a digital print. If you need a backup, but another storage array or a cloud file service.
    Practically speaking, a scan around 1GB is plenty overkill for any online purposes and most prints. a 50MB raw file from a DSLR is considered big and suitable for any print these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann Corbit View Post
    I think it would be interesting to have a site (possibly public domain like Pexels) to post ultra high resolution images.
    There could be some utility for the artist. Perhaps it would be a way to get your work noticed.
    With only 120 TB I don't have enough space to host such a site myself because that is only 120,000 images at 1GB each. A lot less for really large images.
    I doubt this would enhance your odds of "getting noticed" because I bet 95% of the potential viewers would refuse to download images 1GB each or larger. Do you really think people would have that kind of patience (or bandwidth)? On a 24GB ADSL network, it would take nearly 6 minutes to download a single 1GB file. On an 80Mbit/s 4G network, it would still take nearly two full minutes to download that same 1GB file. This is a really impractical idea, and for no real benefit. In almost all scenarios, a web browser will be needed to display the image file, and an uncompressed, megapixel JPEG will almost certainly display better (because JPEG is made for this purpose) than a TIFF file will. I honestly don't think you have anything to gain from this, and you stand to lose more than you think you do. I think that if you viewed an uncompressed JPEG image measuring 12,000 X 12,000 pixels, you would be sufficiently impressed that the pursuit of higher quality images for Web display would become unnecessary.

WFH Sucks, a Haiku:

Hundred gig files from
    detector at lab, summer
    heat and slow downloads.

I remember back in the day, with 56k modems being "high-tech," chopping up 600 or 800 pixel images into 100 pixel chunks so they loaded faster on the web (downloading multiple files rather than 1 large one). The heady days of 800x600 monitors too. Windows 3.1 and 8-bit graphics...

Anyway. Much too large, no one cares that much to download 1GB+ images.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

But I think it would be interesting to have a site (possibly public domain like Pexels) to post ultra high resolution images.
    There could be some utility for the artist. Perhaps it would be a way to get your work noticed.
    Like this?

https://vastphotos.com/

High resolution is lost on most computer monitors. For viewing, even on a large, high-quality monitor, you don't need any more resolution than the monitor can resolve. So, unless you want people to print out these monster files at a large size to appreciate the high resolution, you're wasting your time...

Doremus

Dann Corbit

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Yes, exactly. That's it.

Dann Corbit

I am not looking to create a download site, more like a museaum.

Now, people will argue that it takes too long to download a giant image.
    I guess in 10 years you will be able to download a gigabyte in a few seconds.
    The rate of speed increase of all things technological is exponential (See Ray Kurzweil's "The Singularity" dissertations).
    If you have ever seen "The Trial of Billy Mitchell" you will see how technology predictions that sound comical can easily become reality {based on a real trial}.
    But, as you can see above, someone has already beat me to it, and it is truly breathtaking.

Yes, exactly. That's it.
    But please note that nowhere in their technical description of the process do they talk about the final image format they end up with. This process is about stitching together dozens of DSLR RAW images to compose a huge image. What they’re accomplishing isn’t about whether or not the final output is a JPEG but about the sheer volume of image data they are compositing to make an image. For all we know, the final output IS a JPEG.