Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a free site that will host your images in their original full resolution?

Dann Corbit

Is there a free site that will host your images in their original full resolution?

I don't want to convert to JPEG and lose the image quality.
    If there is no free site, is there a pay for usage site?

Re: Is there a free site that will host your images in their original full resolution

Quote Originally Posted by Dann Corbit View Post
    I don't want to convert to JPEG and lose the image quality.
    If there is no free site, is there a pay for usage site?
    What file format are your images?? There are many high res file formats that a web browser will not display. If you want a place to store TIFF files for your own purposes, you can do that, but if you want other people to SEE them, they cannot be in the TIFF format - a web browser will not display them correctly.

From https://99designs.com/blog/tips/image-file-types/

"Don’t use at TIFF when…
    You’re working with web graphics. While many web browsers support it, TIFF files are optimized for print. Go with JPEG or PNG when you need to display high-quality images online."

Dann Corbit

Re: Is there a free site that will host your images in their original full resolution

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    What file format are your images?? There are many high res file formats that a web browser will not display. If you want a place to store TIFF files for your own purposes, you can do that, but if you want other people to SEE them, they cannot be in the TIFF format - a web browser will not display them correctly.

From https://99designs.com/blog/tips/image-file-types/

"Don’t use at TIFF when…
    You’re working with web graphics. While many web browsers support it, TIFF files are optimized for print. Go with JPEG or PNG when you need to display high-quality images online."
    Currently I have raw digital images. There is some way to display them because I have been to photography sites that allow you to request a view of the raw file.
    Now that I have some 4x5 cameras, I was expecting full resolution scan images but it seems I will have to convert to PNG which is lossless.

I guess scan images can run up to 1TB but I am not sure about it (just some math about scan resolutions and image size lead me to that estimate).

I have a 120 TB disk farm, and if worst came to worst, I could get a static IP address and host my own stuff

I can't even see a drum scan of an 8x10 being 1TB. I think you are way over thinking it.

I don't understand your purpose

Generally we store large files, locally or remote

If we want people to see the image we fit it to the delivery system they use

As most use cell phones now for everything, often over cell towers, I make my files small and nobody can tell the difference

I view my images on tiny iPhone, iPad, monitor and my giant TV

If sending an image to another, many prefer the small file size for speed
    Tin Can

Why do you want to post your full-resolution images on the Internet for anyone who wants them to steal them and use them for whatever purpose they want? The incidence of people pirating images for their websites, advertisements, etc. is already too high. Why encourage them?

Opportunity makes the thief...

Doremus

Dann Corbit

I imagine that you guys are correct and it is a bad idea.

There are about 2 billion pixels of information on a 4x5 image:
    https://kenrockwell.com/tech/film-resolution.htm
    At 48 bits per pixel that would be 12 GB image size.
    So 8x10 should be representible in 48 gb in perfect fidelity, so terabyte images would only be needed for extremely large images (21 times the surface area of 8x10 so roughly 40x50 inches). I doubt if there is any real camera that large and if there were it would be quite a job to stitch together the scanned images.

But I think it would be interesting to have a site (possibly public domain like Pexels) to post ultra high resolution images.
    There could be some utility for the artist. Perhaps it would be a way to get your work noticed.
    With only 120 TB I don't have enough space to host such a site myself because that is only 120,000 images at 1GB each. A lot less for really large images.

I also think that such a thing might drive interest in large format photography. Imagine zooming in on a cat's face until you see a mite on his whisker.
    I also do not know what the current state of the art is for scanner resolution. You would need 48 bits per pixel at 8000 DPI to extract all the information from an image.
    It would also probably have to be moderated or people would post x-rated images, which is starting to sound like a lot of work.

As far as scanning goes, supposedly this thing will get you 1/4 of the way there for under $120 for an 8x10 image:
    https://www.amazon.com/Canon-9623B01..._id=5728048011

That scanner is a toy

Your dream already exists

LIBRARY OF CONGRESS PUBLIC DOMAIN IMAGES

Look it up and download them all
    Tin Can

I'm surprised no one has mentioned http://www.gigapixel.com/

Dann Corbit

Both of those sites are pretty cool.