Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rail size for a CALUMET 4X5 CC401?

Dann Corbit

Talking Re: Rail size for a CALUMET 4X5 CC401?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Sorry Dann, I did some thinking and realized that it's been at least 25 years since I worked with those cameras. Have fun with yours!
    BTW the last time I used a long-rail Calumet, I had a 19" (480mm) f/11 Goerz red-dot Artar lens on it. Plenty long for me!
    Careful with that! You'll entice me into buying another camera.

Dann Corbit

Re: Rail size for a CALUMET 4X5 CC401?

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    The CC-401 has a 22" bellows, but like most monorail cameras, there's a standard on each end, which doesn't overhang the ends of the rail in any photograph I could find, so it's kind of obvious that the rail is longer than the bellows.

The fact that it took three pages for the experts to come to this conclusion suggests that a novice to large format photography should not be castigated for being concerned.

Dan (C): Whether you return it or not, let KEH know they screwed up and sold you the wrong camera.

Because if this clip from the 1965 Calumet Camera catalog is to be believed, they did.

Attachment 207903
    I sent KEH a message on Friday with a photograph of the rail with a tape measure showing the length.
    I don't want to discourage vendors from selling view camera stuff, so I won't get my nose out of joint and demand he pay for reverse shipping and send me a CC-401.
    Now that I have calmed down about getting the wrong thing (I still would rather have gotten a CC-401) I am not hot under the collar about it.
    I am sure it was an honest mistake.

My camera was also very well packed and in closed position (as I was unpacking it, my youngest son exclaimed, "That camera must be really valuable!").
    So I guess they learned a lesson from previous bad packing jobs (see horror story up-thread).
    If we were to gripe at all the view camera vendors for every faux pas, we could eventually drive them out of the business.
    And God knows we all make mistakes. I have demonstrated several right here in this very thread.

Dann Corbit

FWIW, I got a response back from KEH and they offered to send me a return shipping label and were very apologetic.
    I told them not to worry about it.

Arca-Swiss

Dan is correct as Calumet and many companies make changes but do not announce them and don't instantly reprint catalogues--Too expensive.

The 1965 catalogue says CC-400 16" bellows on 22" rail. ($89.95) CC-401 22" bellows on 26" rail.($114.95)

Hope this helps
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

KEH is great on returns. I just did my first. They emailed me Pre Paid USPS shipping label. I fixed my printer and printed. Dropped off at PO and instantly it was tracked.

2 days after the quick shipping I had money back.

I will use KEH again just as I have for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann Corbit View Post
    FWIW, I got a response back from KEH and they offered to send me a return shipping label and were very apologetic.
    I told them not to worry about it.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Um, er, ah, why do you believe that? Calumet's Spring 1970 catalog says:
    I got that info from the link I shared, bottom of page 5. Did I read it wrong? The OP's question pertains to the rail length, he received a 20" rail not a 26" for the cc-401.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian