Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beseler Universal 45 Assistance

Re: Beseler Universal 45 Assistance

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    When these go on the fritz from either a voltage surge or a bulb out, it seem almost like something inside the controls gets temporarily magnetized, so what might not work immediately after such an issue might clear up on its own in several days. It only happened to me once this year when major utility work was being done in the area, and somebody spliced something wrong.
    If I had known about that kind of work going on, or if a lightning storm was happening, I simply wouldn't power up the device on that particular day. They don't like electronic lighting ballasts either in the vicinity, or solid-state switches - another EMI source.
    Ah that's interesting to know. What a pain!

Drew Wiley

It takes some persistence, but after awhile one either becomes an effective practitioner of Colorhead Psychoanalysis, or resorts to some torture like replacing this or that part inside the little black box. I'm glad I went through the effort. My units are set up for color printing, but fully effective for VC printing too. Otherwise, I've cannibalized all this gear and repurposed it for much more effective performance as part of bigger systems, hotrod-style. But that's an even more complicated topic. There's a parallel recent thread referencing where to send these controls for diagnosis and repair; but it isn't cheap. Make sure you're using only high-quality bulbs like Japan-made Ushio. The cheapo Chinese bulbs will give you endless trouble.

Well it works! Red bulb was blown so I removed it. I cleaned the contacts of the other 2 bulbs and now she works like a dream. Have ordered 3x more bulbs for peace of mind. Incredibly easy to use with MG paper. After doing my first 4x5 enlargements I don't think I'll ever want to go back to 35 or 120! Thanks for your advice team!

Quote Originally Posted by kdotlowe View Post
    Well it works! Red bulb was blown so I removed it. I cleaned the contacts of the other 2 bulbs and now she works like a dream. Have ordered 3x more bulbs for peace of mind. Incredibly easy to use with MG paper. After doing my first 4x5 enlargements I don't think I'll ever want to go back to 35 or 120! Thanks for your advice team!
    I use these heads I have 3 that work perfectly and 2 that are not working properly. The red filter is there because it's a color head. When you use it with the black and white controller, there's a clear filter that replaces the red filter. This is the bulb that you are supposed to use for graded paper. It's also what comes on when you hit focus with the black and white controller.

Use it the way it is keep the lamp sockets and posts clean. When these work they are the best color /VC head Beseler ever made. I love mine.

I get a buzzing sound when turning my beseler 45a computer on. If anybody has any leads it would be great ! I'm wondering if it's a the fuse that is blown out or it's sign that focusing lamp needs to be replaced

Drew Wiley

If the fuse is blown it simply won't turn on at all. But those little fuses are dirt cheap at almost any real hardware store, so it's not a bad idea to have a spare on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    If the fuse is blown it simply won't turn on at all. But those little fuses are dirt cheap at almost any real hardware store, so it's not a bad idea to have a spare on hand.
    I figured it has something to do with voltage or hertz vibrations or frequency. It's a sound similar to a buzzing sound an amplifier or big speaker could have when a wire is plugged in. It comes on whenever I turn on the system controller and prevents any normal use of the enlarger system controller because it shuts down after a while hearing that buzzing sound. Any idea what the issue would be?

I have one of these units, but unused, in a box deep in storage somewhere, but only looked it for a minute or so, so I don't know the insides...

Buzzing could be from a bad relay not making complete connections... Replacements are common items, but it needs to be troubleshooted by a tech... Sometimes cleaning the relays and other connections will help...

Transformers can also buzz badly if partially shorted and ready to blow... (Also replaceable...)

Get a manual and a tech...

Steve K

Drew Wiley

No manuals. Tech doesn't come cheap. Probably any hobby electronics enthusiast could figure it out. I know quite a few electronics engineers & phD's in computer fields, but none of them seem to know what an ordinary solder iron is, or how to change a wall socket, so it has always been up to me to figure out things for myself with continuity testers, voltmeters, dumb luck etc.

This has mutated from a Beseler Universal 45, to a Beseler/Minolta 45a thread. I have one of these I got for free. One of these days I'm going to take a couple months and try to figure it out. In the right hands these were amazing light sources, the 45a sold for over 3 grand.