Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping the film rebate for contact prints

Re: Keeping the film rebate for contact prints

I'm with Neil. Cropping the image favors the subject. Printing the rebate favors the photographer's technique. The image alone tells me more about the photographer than does the inclusion of the rebate.

Drew Wiley

I find the inclusion of that kind of extraneous non-information distracting, and often kitchy. Anyway, the term in the US is rabbet, not rebate. Doesn't matter on this forum because we all understand what is meant, but the cross-Atlantic confusion over the respective spellings drives woodworkers and picture framers crazy.

Not to be confused with rarebit. Something my mom would cook up towards the end of the month before my dad's next paycheck would come in. Melted Velveeta Cheese over Saltine Crackers. I liked it.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

It could get rather humorous if some woodworking neophyte bought a shoulder plane made in England labeled as a rebate plane, and they came back a month later wondering why their rebate check never arrived. In wood window sales, where both a rabbet and a rebate might be involved, it was important to explain the distinction. And there was a Midwestern maker of very nice miniature rabbet planes who made a pun out of the whole thing by marketing those little tools as "bunny planes".

Thanks, ic-racer, I had another look at that image yesterday on the wall. The reproduction (using copy stand too small for work) is a little hot along that edge, but there is definitely a slight lighter tone in the image area along the bottom rebate. Might have been part of the scene, might be edge over-agitation (8x10 tray developed in 12x16 tray), either way, it works very well for me.

This is one of my favorite redwood images (tho I have quite a few favorites). Even accounting for personal bias, I do not see it as an imperfection, but as part of the strength of the image. Occasionally, one needs to let the light continue its flow thru the image...any amount of darkening there would just damn up the light. YMMD.

PS...and the black rebate keeps the light from just soaking into the matboard. I want the viewers feet to get wet!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China