Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Voigtländer Euryscop No. 6 Series IV Real World Coverage ?

  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,579

    Re: Voigtländer Euryscop No. 6 Series IV Real World Coverage ?

    To give you an example: would you use a 250mm lens for 8x10 head/shoulder shots? Do they look good? Yes you can use a 250mm for 8x10 portrait, but only at a distance, maybe 15-20 feet away. Many excellent 8x10 portraits have been made with 250mm or even wider lenses. Think of Jock Sturges.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    42

    Re: Voigtländer Euryscop No. 6 Series IV Real World Coverage ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    To give you an example: would you use a 250mm lens for 8x10 head/shoulder shots? Do they look good? Yes you can use a 250mm for 8x10 portrait, but only at a distance, maybe 15-20 feet away. Many excellent 8x10 portraits have been made with 250mm or even wider lenses. Think of Jock Sturges.
    Okay, now I understand

    Thank you for your answer. Then I would say I could have some fun with my Voigtländer for 16x20 portraits

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,579

    Re: Voigtländer Euryscop No. 6 Series IV Real World Coverage ?

    Yes in the style of Sturges. Like when you use a 240mm-250mm lens with 8x10 portraits. You have to understand a 24" lens is considered normal lens for 16x20 format, just like a 12" in the case of 8x10.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    171

    Re: Voigtländer Euryscop No. 6 Series IV Real World Coverage ?

    You can think of lens coverage in the following terms.

    Lens have two basic properties. The lens has angle of view in the front of the lens. This depends on the lens focal length. The lens has angle of coverage in behind of the lens. This depends on the lens design (i.e. Petzval has one size, Tessar has another and Dagor has something different; it also varies inside the lens design of course, for example f/6.3 Tessar may have larger angle of coverage than f/4.5 Tessar and so on).

    You could imagine it like two cones. Angle of view cone and angle of coverage cone.

    If you think of angle of coverage cone then closer the image pane is to the lens the smaller is the image the lens can project (intersection of the image pane and the cone becomes smaller).

    For example if you focus 500mm to infinity then your lens is 500mm from the image pane. When you now focus closer (say 1000mm at 1:1) then your lens is further away from the image pane and the cone of coverage also projects larger image (the difference between infinity and 1:1 is twice the sides i.e. when lens covers 8x10" at infinity then it will cover 16x20" at 1:1 (there are other factors that come from lens design and focal length i.e. lens good at infinity may not be good at 1:1, 300mm lens puts the subject too close to the camera etc)).

    The same is with the focal length. If you assume the same lens design, that is, the same cone of coverage, then 500mm lens is further away from the image pane than would be say 300mm lens and therefore also the cone of coverage projects larger image.
    Last edited by erian; 16-Sep-2020 at 21:10.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    171

    Re: Voigtländer Euryscop No. 6 Series IV Real World Coverage ?

    Normal lens for given format (X x Y, say 8 x 10) is roughly square root of (X squared + Y squared) (i.e. Pythagoras theorem). So for 8x10" it is square root (8 square + 10 squared) = square root (64 + 100) ~= 12.8" ~= 325mm (so 300mm would be a little wide angle in my opinion, approximately 45-46mm on 35mm camera).

    For 16x20" it is then square root of (16 squared + 20 squared) = square root of (256 + 400) ~= 25.6" ~= 650mm i.e. twice the length of 8x10" (because also all the sides are double).

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    171

    Re: Voigtländer Euryscop No. 6 Series IV Real World Coverage ?

    Another useful concept to have is that the subject distance for the 1:1 image (that is when the subject in front of the lens is the same size as the image) is double of focal length from the lens focal point (i.e. somewhere in the middle of the lens mostly (for simple lens)). The distance of the image pane is the same length to the other side.

    This means that the distance of the subject depends on the lens focal length. The longer the lens the further away you could put your subject.

    When using the same focal length lens then moving the subject further away makes the image smaller and moving the subject closer makes the image larger (of course one must also also reposition the image pane to focus).

    1:1 on 16x20" is head and shoulders + little bit of body portrait (upper part of breast). 1:1 on 20x24 is upper body portrait. Head and shoulders is about 12x15".

    This means for example that if you want 16x20" head and shoulders then you have to magnify a little.
    Last edited by erian; 16-Sep-2020 at 21:12.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    42

    Re: Voigtländer Euryscop No. 6 Series IV Real World Coverage ?

    Quote Originally Posted by erian View Post
    Another useful concept to have is that the subject distance for the 1:1 image (that is when the subject in front of the lens is the same size as the image) is double of focal length from the lens focal point (i.e. somewhere in the middle of the lens mostly (for simple lens)). The distance of the image pane is the same length to the other side.

    This means that the distance of the subject depends on the lens focal length. The longer the lens the further away you could put your subject.

    When using the same focal length lens then moving the subject further away makes the image smaller and moving the subject closer makes the image larger (of course one must also also reposition the image pane to focus).

    1:1 on 16x20" is head and shoulders + little bit of body portrait (upper part of breast). 1:1 on 20x24 is upper body portrait. Head and shoulders is about 12x15".

    This means for example that if you want 16x20" head and shoulders then you have to magnify a little.
    Tha´t´s really a good explanation, thank you for your time, that was very helpful

    space is no problem at my home, but like I said I loved the look of th Goerz 500 4.5.... So I would also be happy with my Voigtländer and don´t need a 650mm...
    There is only the problem like you said that lenses could be different in Coverage apart from focal length... Maybe the Goerz one is better.

  8. #18
    Between here and there
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Sweden & Germany
    Posts
    513

    Re: Voigtländer Euryscop No. 6 Series IV Real World Coverage ?

    Theory is one thing, and one can go half-mad with all the perhaps and what-ifs. Try the lens you have in your hands first. See what it really can do. Maybe you find yourself down another road in practice than you thought would be possible in theory.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    171

    Re: Voigtländer Euryscop No. 6 Series IV Real World Coverage ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    Theory is one thing, and one can go half-mad with all the perhaps and what-ifs. Try the lens you have in your hands first. See what it really can do. Maybe you find yourself down another road in practice than you thought would be possible in theory.
    I second to this.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    171

    Re: Voigtländer Euryscop No. 6 Series IV Real World Coverage ?

    So did you end up getting the 500mm Dogmar or it was somebody else? When you did then congratulations. When you did not then do not worry because it makes sens to test with what you already have at hand.

Similar Threads

  1. Voigtländer Euryscop IVa #5: coverage??
    By thegreatcornholio in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-Jan-2018, 11:33
  2. real-world coverage at infinity of WA Apo-Nikkors?
    By John Schneider in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9-Nov-2012, 12:02
  3. Voigtländer Euryscop Series VII a ?
    By Steven Tribe in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2011, 17:10

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •