Thread: Printing on canvas: a question

Printing on canvas: a question

I scan my LF negatives so that I can digitize them. I've just experimented with printing on Epson Exhibition Canvas. I'm wondering if I have to protect the surface of the canvas by applying a spray coating of a water-based product.

Thoughts?

Peter

Re: Printing on canvas: a question

You don't have to. The inks are archival without spray, but the ink is just an extremely thin layer and is susceptible to scratches. Besides that, the canvas is bright white because of a coating of optical brighteners, and I don't think the manufacturers of OBs have the same archival standards as the ink makers do as I've experienced the optical brighteners fading. As the optical brighteners fade they reveal the true color of the "natural white" canvas beneath. Natural white canvas appears yellow compared to the bright white canvas. So a coat of varnish protects against scratches and OB fading. Additionally, if you're going to exhibit the print for any length of time you'll probably want to dust it off once in a while and the varnish will allow you to do that, even with a damp cloth, without damaging it.
    In case you're looking for recommendations, I've used Marabu Clearshield ( https://www.lexjet.com/marabu-clearshield-canvas-guard) with a Homeright HVLP sprayer with good results (Homeright.com)

Extremely helpful, Peter! Many thanks.

You don’t necessarily have to do it. However, I know someone who did and still everything turned out to be good in the end. If you are looking for more of a professional centre specializing in canvas prints, I would recommend this platform. They are really good in what they do. You can order anything from them, also customized photos or similar products. Recently, for my mom’s anniversary, I order a painting from them specially tailored to her taste, and she was so surprised. Anyway, they also have a customer service option, so you can ask all your questions there, and probably you’ll have great insights from them.
    Last edited by Carellmon; 31-Mar-2021 at 10:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Carellmon View Post
    You don’t necessarily have to do it.
    I second that if you are saying don't print on canvas to art with. Unless you're going to paint on it.