Thread: Lampheads, Powerpacks, & Still Life Photography

Lampheads, Powerpacks, & Still Life Photography

Hello!

I'm relatively new to using flash lighting whilst using my 8x10 camera.

I know that sync speed is not an issue with leaf shutters but more than that I would like to understand the following from your experiences especially when shooting indoor portraits or still life.

I am planning to use broncolor powerpacks and two lampheads.

1. Given that shutter speed sync is not an issue, is there a rule of thumb in terms of which shutter speed to use? I'm thinking that I should be thinking in aperture stops when shooting with flash.

2. What kind of metering techniques do you use with indoor flash photography especially with multiple light sources?

3. Is there a specific power rating I should look for in a power pack? 1600 Joules/Watts? 3200 Joules/Watts

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Re: Lampheads, Powerpacks, & Still Life Photography

I am setting up a studio still life right now

Focus

I always use 1/30th with good leaf shutters to match my Packard shutters

I calculate ideal f stop first, then bellows correction for magnification, then using a flash meter I turn up my strobes to match f stop

Today I am burning some Fujiroid
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I am setting up a studio still life right now

Focus

I always use 1/30th with good leaf shutters to match my Packard shutters

I calculate ideal f stop first, then bellows correction for magnification, then using a flash meter I turn up my strobes to match f stop

Today I am burning some Fujiroid
    Yeah I was thinking within those lines as well. Effectively eliminating the need to calculate reciprocity as well.

Are you using modelling lamps to guide you?

Foamer

The duration of the flash is something like 1//500s to 1/1000s so shutter speed only matters if you want ambient light to appear.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    The duration of the flash is something like 1//500s to 1/1000s so shutter speed only matters if you want ambient light to appear.

Kent in SD
    That is correct.

Yes, my PC Buff Einsteins have complete adjust-ability of the strobe and modeling lamp, meaning they can or not follow proportionally and turn off either

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenestanislao View Post
    Yeah I was thinking within those lines as well. Effectively eliminating the need to calculate reciprocity as well.

Are you using modelling lamps to guide you?

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post

Kent in SD
    No, with leaf shutters you can balance the flash output to the ambient light. If you want no or very little ambient light use a fast shutter speed. If you want more ambient light use a slow shutter speed.

Large power packs, likely to be used with 8X10 cameras can have flash durations as long as 1/250 second. The flash does not sync until the shutter is fully open, so using 1/250 sec. can cut off part of the flash burst, reducing effective exposure. As the burst builds and trails off the color shifts to the red, so if you cut the burst off short, you can shift the color balance of the exposure to the blue.

http://normanlights.com/pdfs/applica...FlashGuide.pdf

Here the flash duration of a P2000D at full power through one head is given as 1/240 sec.

http://normanlights.com/manuals/p200dmanual.pdf

I have used Pulso Broncolor I used to have two of the 606s, those are 6000 ws 220V units. Still have one Also the Pulso C171 Monolight and the C80 those are medium power units. Recently I have added a Pulso 404 pack which is 1600 watt seconds, three heads rated 1600, and a 1600 ws Hazylight head. Lastest find is a 700 ws pencil light (no modeling) good for lighting anything bare tube.

I have many 21 and 41 Broncolor Impact monolights which are more modern 200/300 ws monolights. I have used those quite a bit for wedding portrait and commercial use
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No, with leaf shutters you can balance the flash output to the ambient light. If you want no or very little ambient light use a fast shutter speed. If you want more ambient light use a slow shutter speed.

Yes, that's what I said.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!