Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rethreading screws (the search for replacement screws)

Between here and there

Re: Rethreading screws (the search for replacement screws)

Thanks to everyone that contributed to the thread (pun intended, hah) this far.

I have not been able to recognize the thread gauge, but with the help of some guts, a loupe and a japanese needle file set that I bought almost thirty years ago, I have been able to clean up the damage. It goes in easily now and I am set to put it all back together. This "project Norma" has been quite the learning experience.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The Swiss hypothetically ever adopting Whitworth would be equivalent to them giving up chocolate and drinking tea with milk in it instead. The whole Brit system of 1/12 of a cubit-furlong-squiggle was originally based on how far a Druid priest drunken on mead could throw the head of an ox.
    O dear me, Drew, you do have it bad, don't you!!!!!
    Commiserations
    Tony

Drew Wiley

Removable thread lock fluid can also be used in minor situations. I've told this story before, Tony, but when I was a kid in high school, it was right around that time the metric system was beginning to be taught in shop classes. Back then, allegedly smart kids weren't even allowed to take shop classes, but had to study Sophocles and Chaucer instead. That left shop teachers with the dummies. So he'd ask them, "How many pennies in a dime, how many dimes in a dollar?" "Ten", they'd respond. "How many millimeters in a centimeter?" ... "Duuh, twelve?" "Count your fingers, you dummy!!!" Sure enough, there would be some inbred hillbilly kid in the back row that had six fingers on each hand.

shop classes. "How many pennies in a dime, how many dimes in a dollar?" "Ten",
    Drew, as George Bernard Shaw [is reported to have] said we are 'Two nations divided by a common language.

what is shop classes?????

In Britain and its empire a 'penny' was one two hundred and fortieth of a pound sterling [not avoirdupois]
    In Britain's former colonies [eg the lower 48] a penny is slang for one cent or one hundredth of a dollar.
    Other variations are a pint and gallon - 8 pints to a gallon, but in the UK one pint is 20 fluid ounces whereas you use 16 fluid ounces to one pint.
    Similarly you use a short ton [2,000 lbs] I use a long ton [2,240 lbs]. Whereas the metric system uses 1000kg to 1 tonne
    You use the hash mark [#] in different forms [#2 and 2#] in which the former is a number and the latter weight in pounds
    Furlongs, pecks, perches, gills, acres etc are all measures that have, to some extent, be replaced by values in the metric system.
    The cubit, you mentioned earlier, comes from the old Middle Eastern civilisations and was never part of the Imperial measurement system

Drew, we can continue this dialogue ad-nauseam, but I think it is of no benefit to the OP or others

regards
    Tony

It will be metric of some sort. Everything on my Norma is. A bit of slop can be taken up by Teflon tape if necessary. The Swiss hypothetically ever adopting Whitworth would be equivalent to them giving up chocolate and drinking tea with milk in it instead. The whole Brit system of 1/12 of a cubit-furlong-squiggle was originally based on how far a Druid priest drunken on mead could throw the head of an ox.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    In Britain and its empire a 'penny' was one two hundred and fortieth of a pound sterling [not avoirdupois]
    In Britain's former colonies [eg the lower 48] a penny is slang for one cent or one hundredth of a dollar.
    Other variations are a pint and gallon - 8 pints to a gallon, but in the UK one pint is 20 fluid ounces whereas you use 16 fluid ounces to one pint.
    Similarly you use a short ton [2,000 lbs] I use a long ton [2,240 lbs]. Whereas the metric system uses 1000kg to 1 tonne
    You use the hash mark [#] in different forms [#2 and 2#] in which the former is a number and the latter weight in pounds
    Furlongs, pecks, perches, gills, acres etc are all measures that have, to some extent, be replaced by values in the metric system.
    The cubit, you mentioned earlier, comes from the old Middle Eastern civilisations and was never part of the Imperial measurement system
    Well Tony, after that you need to be honest and say that Drew is absolutely correct! And don't get me started on BA threads:

starting with 0BA at 6.0 mm diameter and 1.0 mm pitch and progressing in a geometric sequence where each larger number was 0.9 times the pitch of the last size. They then rounded to 2 significant figures in metric and then converting to inches and rounding to the thousandth of an inch.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Between here and there

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post

Drew, we can continue this dialogue ad-nauseam, but I think it is of no benefit to the OP or others
    Indeed, sir. The thread is worn out, metric or otherwise.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Drew Wiley

I have interchangeable blades for my precision try squares, selector button for which kinds of readings on my calipers, quite a variety of rulers etc. The most useful of all are Fishermans tape rules, made of stretchable vinyl, so you can make the marks as far apart or as close together as you wish. Any outfit that sells metric Crescent wrenches sells those too.