Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finest detail digital printer / paper

Finest detail digital printer / paper

I am considering a project that makes small prints, i.e. 4x6" to max. 8x10". The images will be printed from digital files with tons of detail, scanned LF film. My goal is, to make these prints as sharp as possible, nearing "contact print" quality.

What digital printer / paper combination has the sharpest output quality? I prefer a non-glossy finish, preferably more of a fine-art paper. I know the glossy papers hold the most detail, but I am curious if anyone has evaluated the non glossy options. My guess is, ink jets will print the most detail vs. laser type printers? TYIA

"My guess is, ink jets will print the most detail vs. laser type printers?"

why do you guess that?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Epson's desktop printers have drivers that support 720 pixels per inch (my understanding is that the large format printers are limited to 360 ppi). Using 720 ppi files on my epson with a quadtone black and white inkset, i can make contact-sized prints that look like better contact prints than my real contact prints.

Epson's desktop printers have drivers that support 720 pixels per inch (my understanding is that the large format printers are limited to 360 ppi). Using 720 ppi files on my epson with a quadtone black and white inkset, i can make contact-sized prints that look like better contact prints than my real contact prints.

Paul, can you really see the difference between 720ppi and 360ppi prints without the aid of a loupe?

Color or B&W? For B&W (up to 8x10) the HP Photosmart 7960 printer with HP Premium Plus papers.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Paul, Which Epson model are you using, and what type of paper are you printing on?

"My guess is, ink jets will print the most detail vs. laser type printers?"
    why do you guess that?

--rob 2006-01-10 09:30 PST

....Because it would be correct. Most of the lab lasers like the Lightjet, chromira, etc, are limited to at most, 406 dpi. Depending on the paper you use on an inkjet, it is possible to record more detail. This would depend entirely on the paper. Canon dye based systems are capable of outputting 600 dpi, but the paper may not show that. Small format Epsons are capable of 720.

Choose your paper carefully. Epson Velvet fine art and Hahnemuhle Photo rag are two of my favorites, for both color & B&W.

Best of luck with your search.

Rob, "I guess", because I have not seen everything that exist in the digital printing world....

Kieth, if you print 360 dpi on ink jet, vs. 720 on the same ink jet, the differences are VERY obvious on almost any paper. If these dots were perfectly placed, I would agree it would be beyond human vision to see such differences, but that is not the case. In addition the papers bleed inks, which adds to the lessened resolution. However, at 1440 dpi, the benefit becomes less apparent vs. 720 dpi, unless you print on very high gloss papers, which holds tremendous detail.

From my non scientific testing, you can count on a 35 - 50% loss in resolution from the digital file, to the actual print. This is a result of the difficulty of placing dots accurately and the papers ability to hold the dot without bleeding. Of course this assumes you "push" the printer to its max printing resolution.

Also, these are color prints. Sorry for not mentioning that.

Seems to be some confusion here between ppi and dpi. My 2100/2200 can print up to 2800dpi. On matte paper (Photo Rag) I can see no difference between 2800dpi and 1440dpi without the aid of a loupe.

I believe what Paul is saying is that the Epson drivers will accept 720ppi (pixels per inch) files rather than 360ppi so that the file sent to the printer will have more detail. But does this difference really show?

"can you really see the difference between 720ppi and 360ppi prints without the aid of a loupe"

Absolutely, but even if you couldn't without a loupe does it make it less valid? I take loupes to exhibitions all the time. I am a large format guy and I like images that hold up at that magnification.

David. I agree about the Velvet. If you like Photo Rag, try Crane Museuo Max. It is similar but has a much higher dmax.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"