Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Wide Angle Lenses for Still Life

8x10 Wide Angle Lenses for Still Life

Hello wanted to seek opinions on using wide angle lenses for still life photography (210-240mm focal lengths).

Do they work well? Pros and cons? Please do share recommendations and sample images—would really appreciate it.

For reference I am using an 8x10 Deardorff and an 8x10 Cambo SCX. Attached a sample photo of the platinum images I make.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Re: 8x10 Wide Angle Lenses for Still Life

The problem with many 210s is adequate coverage. Unless you spend $4K on a 210XL, you won't get too much from a lens in terms of movements on 8x10.
    If you don't need movements, then the number of usable 210mm lenses increases.
    For 5-6 years, I've been using a Computar 210 f/9 (currently for sale!) which is contrasty, very sharp and has ample coverage for 8x10.
    Before that I had a Fuji 210, which has enough to cover 8x10 with moderate movements. It was great as a 4x5 lens, but seemed to suffer in image quality on 8x10.
    Not as wide, but better on 8x10, is the Fuji 250mm f/6.7.
    For still life, any of these lenses will work, but the Computar and Fuji 250 were, for me, better than most other lenses.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

At close distances with extended bellows, coverage expands greatly. A lens that just covers 4x5 at infinity will cover 8x10 at 1:1.

In my experience, very wide angle lenses perform pretty poorly at very close distances. A 210mm process lens would fit your needs very well, and fine examples can be had for under $100. Edward Weston's close up lens for his peppers, other vegetables, and seashells was a 210mm Zeiss Tessar. Those regularly go for well under $100 too, if you like the history behind it, but the process lenses would outperform it.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    The problem with many 210s is adequate coverage. Unless you spend $4K on a 210XL, you won't get too much from a lens in terms of movements on 8x10.
    If you don't need movements, then the number of usable 210mm lenses increases.
    For 5-6 years, I've been using a Computar 210 f/9 (currently for sale!) which is contrasty, very sharp and has ample coverage for 8x10.
    Before that I had a Fuji 210, which has enough to cover 8x10 with moderate movements. It was great as a 4x5 lens, but seemed to suffer in image quality on 8x10.
    Not as wide, but better on 8x10, is the Fuji 250mm f/6.7.
    For still life, any of these lenses will work, but the Computar and Fuji 250 were, for me, better than most other lenses.
    Would you be able to share sample images that you took with these lenses?

Why not make your life simple and get a 210 G-Claron. Designed for 1:1, usable up to infinity and in a modern shutter. Lots of coverage esp in close range. Inexpensive and readily available and if you don't like it, sell it! Luis

This 8x10 inch tintype was made using a Schneider 240mm Symmar-S lens at a distance of about 14” from the seed pods, resulting in an image slightly better than 1:1

https://flic.kr/p/23crBT8

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenestanislao View Post
    Would you be able to share sample images that you took with these lenses?

Sure: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQHDen3

Some good advice here, especially about using some cheaper lenses to get the job done.
    Some testing will have to be done to compare a process lens, like the Computar or G-Claron, with a regular lens like the Symmar or the Tessar.

210mm Apo Sironar/Apo Sironar W easily covers 810 with movements at infinity and since it is not a WA design does not need a center filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    210mm Apo Sironar/Apo Sironar W easily covers 810 with movements at infinity and since it is not a WA design does not need a center filter.
    With a 210 mm lens at infinity on 8x10 and no movements, subject at infinity, illumination in the corners will be 1.2 stops down from illumination in the center. Closer up it won't be down as much because the angle covered is narrower. This is independent of the lens' coverage at infinity. An unshifted untilted 210 w/a lens doesn't need a CF on 8x10.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    At these bellows extensions on this format, the center filters aren't necessary. They're only needed when the center of the lens is significantly closer to the center of the image than the corners.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."