Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Wide Angle Lenses for Still Life

Re: 8x10 Wide Angle Lenses for Still Life

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    At these bellows extensions on this format, the center filters aren't necessary. They're only needed when the center of the lens is significantly closer to the center of the image than the corners.
    Or you make movements.

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenestanislao View Post
    Hello wanted to seek opinions on using wide angle lenses for still life photography (210-240mm focal lengths). ...
    What is wrong with the lens used for that image. Do you want to include more of the background with a wider angle of view or do you just want to be closer to the subject so the plume of the bird is larger with respect to the body?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    What is wrong with the lens used for that image. Do you want to include more of the background with a wider angle of view or do you just want to be closer to the subject so the plume of the bird is larger with respect to the body?
    Essentially to better maximise bellows draw and magnification—though I am not sure if there will be any distortions caused by using a wide angle lens as I've never had one for LF.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

210 or 240 G Claron.

Essentially to better maximise bellows draw and magnification—though I am not sure if there will be any distortions caused by using a wide angle lens as I've never had one for LF.

You will get the same foreshortening on large format as you get on any other format with a short lens. Those things closer to the lens will reproduce larger then things further from the lens. That isn’t distortion, it’s optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You will get the same foreshortening on large format as you get on any other format with a short lens. Those things closer to the lens will reproduce larger then things further from the lens. That isn’t distortion, it’s optics.
    So theoretically wanting to make things bigger with bellows draw + a shorter focal length should work yeah? 1.5-2:1?

Sorry, no images from the 210mm Nikkor-W, shutterless Apo-Gerogon and the Macro-Sironar-N, but still a little comparison on the mm-scale on metal at the bottom of this album https://www.flickr.com/photos/470525...57634939838558

Not well. You would be better off with a 120, 180 Apo Macro Sironar for 1:5 to 5:1 or the older 210 or 300 Makro Sironar corrected for 1:3 to 3:1.

Less bellows draw can lead to less shake and it can be easier to work. In that case, just about any 210mm lens should work on 8x10 in close range. As you know the image circle increases with magnification. Do you have a 210mm in your 4x5 kit?

I use a little Wollinsak Graphic Raptar, 210/6.8. Covers with movements at infinity, and would do nicely for close-up work. Barrel -- I do not know if anyone has put one in a shutter.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...tar-Lens/page2
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China