Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Old Collodion Com wetplate site return

Re: Old Collodion Com wetplate site return

Your story is very confusing TOO!

Hard to tell which forum you refer

Fack bok has 3 names right now

Nothing is free, we pay with data

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    This forum is dead in the water. A UK company called Web Wiz hosts forums and is responsible for this forum's design. I've never seen this design, and I'm not anxious to again. In any event, the version of Web Wiz that the forum uses is 12 years old (2009). Apparently updating to the current 2021 version would take too much effort. Access to most of the topics is prohibited. One is taken to a page that says "Error | Only SUBSCRIBERS can access this page - please see Collodion Forum Donations." Apart from being a turn-off, I couldn't even find "Collodion Forum Donations". It hasn't occurred to whoever runs this forum to make that message a link to whatever page wants money.

I can't imagine why anybody using a Facebook Group, which has replaced the now defunct Yahoo Groups and many traditional forums, would be the slightest bit interested in this site. It doesn't help that one of the moderators advertises the forum's attitude by referring to "Facebag". Good idea, insult a high percentage of the people who drop by the forum to check it out, and then tell them that they can't check out most of it without paying a toll.

Pretty obvious what the problem is, and it isn't people interested in this subject.
    Tin Can

Well then Tin Can, let me make it simple. Whoever's running this collodion forum couldn't run a proverbial lemonade stand

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I actually got a response minutes later. The new admin says he cannot find any old member request. Perhaps lost in the shuffle, or the system is broken. Asks that anyone (kiwi) reapply and he'll watch for it.
    Thanks! I just submitted a new user request. It’s under username Kiwi74752. Now it just needs to be activated.

That old Collodion forum ran well for years. Didn't need donations until the hosting got too expensive for Quinn to just keep footing the bill - he built and ran it all himself. Then when the members migrated "off to Facebook", he asked several potential buyers to buy it, it's archives, it's name. No bites. After a few more years, he finally was closing it forever. I connected with him (we're friends and shot wetplate together) and asked if I could have the source code...just in case it could ever be resurrected. I knew the years of useful dialog and answers were valuable information from the true experts, not FB hacks that were just learning. Some of the members had been doing WP since the 70s, did the big re-enactments, etc. People who have published in National Geographic, shot movie stars, etc. He was agreeable, gave me the source code. But I, like him, do not have time to play around hosting a web forum. And don't want to foot the bill either, for the 2-3 people that would check in every year. After a few months, he found another person I don't know, who wanted to stand it up again. I relinquished the code.

But it's more like as an archive now....if the new admin figures out the membership need to just search it. Should be wide open.... Not my business anymore.

I hear and see your point

Good luck to us all

Thank you

& Quinn
    Tin Can