Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Collodion Com wetplate site return

Re: Old Collodion Com wetplate site return

Amazing! Now all that information is searchable, and the same questions don't have to be started all over with.

I didn't realize or remember that I signed up for this forum back in who-knows-when. Must have been 2014-15.
    Now to pick and glean what information I don't yet know.

I signed up twice in 2013

Back then I was still very sick

Very Well now!
    Tin Can

Wow, something sure has changed in the wetplate world, or maybe the forum world in general. I just checked in to the resurrected Collodion.com website. There has not been any post since Sept 22nd, basically a month. The days of it being vibrant, with 4-5 posts an hour daily are gone. I guess Facebook with it's myriad of wetplate and vintage lens groups is where people go now, because I know wetplate is even more popular than 10 years ago. I suppose it's like land line telephones, they're going away too.

I have been visiting

I thought it was made active again as a database, not a chat space

Many answers are there, no questions yet

I don't use FB Twit

This forum HAS slowed also

The Kids Are Alright (song)

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Wow, something sure has changed in the wetplate world, or maybe the forum world in general. I just checked in to the resurrected Collodion.com website. There has not been any post since Sept 22nd, basically a month. The days of it being vibrant, with 4-5 posts an hour daily are gone. I guess Facebook with it's myriad of wetplate and vintage lens groups is where people go now, because I know wetplate is even more popular than 10 years ago. I suppose it's like land line telephones, they're going away too.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    You can definitely blame Facebook for the depletion of almost all online discussion forums. The "get everything in one place" format of Facebook appeals to a majority of consumers, but the Walled Garden concept is contrary to the very idea of the Internet and is toxic to the outcome. It saddens me to realize that by flatly refusing to join the Facebook environment that I am also depriving myself of as much as 75% of the traffic relating to many of my interests. But I am completely unwilling to pay the price to gain access to Facebook's content. Not gonna happen.

Facebook's format is really annoying, glad I shut everything down a few years ago.
    It isn't really conducive to in-depth replies and information, more of a "Just put it in H!" kinda forum.

I've been quietly working on wet plate when I can, and haven't felt much like posting. When I feel like it, I'll probably post images here, if anything.
    Maybe others are similarly toiling away in quiet anonymity.

Perhaps few people are posting on that forum because 1) former members may not know that it's back, and 2) newbies have not been made aware of it?
    Just a thought... it might draw more visitors if promoted on the various FB wet-plate pages. Or anywhere photographers congregate (like Photrio?)
    I don't visit there, or plan to shoot wet-plate much; I have plenty to do in film photography. But certainly the word of the forum's renaissance needs to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Perhaps few people are posting on that forum because 1) former members may not know that it's back, and 2) newbies have not been made aware of it?
    Just a thought... it might draw more visitors if promoted on the various FB wet-plate pages. Or anywhere photographers congregate (like Photrio?)
    I don't visit there, or plan to shoot wet-plate much; I have plenty to do in film photography. But certainly the word of the forum's renaissance needs to get out.
    Quinn's forum was a low traffic space at the best of times. It wasn't unusual for weeks to go by without a single post. Clearly much of the traffic went to Facebook, and I expect that is one of the reason's Quinn decided to pull the plug on it.
    Now that most viewers believe the forum is gone, I imagine few (if any) of them even have a bookmark to the site now. Restoring traffic is going to be difficult, because I expect Facebook has now captured most of the refugees. Such a shame.

Good ponts Mark and Paul

Some of us cannot take any classes, for the usual reasons, time, distance, $$$

I worry about this forum too
    Tin Can