Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fujinion W f5.6 210mm fuzzy at wide open

Re: Fujinion W f5.6 210mm fuzzy at wide open

Pictures would help.
    I took post #4 to mean that the good lens is the one with a bent filter ring.

It's a little strange to have a modern lens that is so bad that you can see its softness on the ground glass. Even a small error in spacing would likely be able to make an image that focuses adequately on-axis but goes bad quickly off-axis. Typically, for a plasmat design, you can at least make a image with the individual front or back cells - it likely won't be critically sharp wide open but should at least be focusable. You could try that with each individual cell to narrow things down further.

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post
    Pictures would help.
    I took post #4 to mean that the good lens is the one with a bent filter ring.

It's a little strange to have a modern lens that is so bad that you can see its softness on the ground glass. Even a small error in spacing would likely be able to make an image that focuses adequately on-axis but goes bad quickly off-axis. Typically, for a plasmat design, you can at least make a image with the individual front or back cells - it likely won't be critically sharp wide open but should at least be focusable. You could try that with each individual cell to narrow things down further.
    yes, the damaged filter ring is on my good lens. The lens that has the fuzzy issue is not damaged in anyway that I can see and can be opened up. Also this lens is bought used from a Ebay Japan seller late last year but I never really use it. If this cannot be fix I guess i will just have to use it at a smaller aperture,

I narrowed it down to the front lens cell after swapping the lens cells around the 2 lenses.

here a few photos of the front lens element

Top of front lens cell
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	207726
    Bottom of front lens cell

Name:	top2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	207725
    Lens elements of front lens cell

Name:	front lens cell.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	207724

Thanks all for responding.

Oh. You dismantled it. Oh. Are you sure you put the groups in correctly? Right group in the right place facing in the right direction?

I ask because some time ago I bought a set of elements from a 180/4.8 Ilex. This is a plasmat type like yours. The cells were hazy. I looked, found that the outer groups (the ones facing, respectively, subject and film) could be removed. Once they were out, the inner groups (both facing the diaphragm) could be taken out. So I cleaned the glasses, one cell at a time so that I couldn't possibly swap groups between cells. After cleaning its groups I reassembled the first cell and did the other one. Put them in a shutter (#1), mounted on a camera and took a look. Fuzzy fuzzy fuzzy.

Sound familiar? I took the rear cell apart first, reversed its inner group and tried again. Sharp, sharp, sharp. If that hadn't changed anything I'd have put it back the way it was and checked the front cell.

Check your work.
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 13-Sep-2020 at 07:58.