Thread: Trying to repair my Omega D2 enlarger

Trying to repair my Omega D2 enlarger

Greetings,
    I recently picked up an Omega D2. I bought it for $70 knowing that it would need some work. Didn't realize that no one (within the state of California) is interested in repair them. I decided to try to repair the enlarger myself. I ordered a manual from an outfit from Canada (waiting for it to arrive). I am reaching out to the members of the forum for advise and information on the best way to proceed. Any information that you can provide would be appreciated.

Sam

Re: Trying to repair my Omega D2 enlarger

Quote Originally Posted by scoleman View Post
    Greetings,
    I recently picked up an Omega D2. I bought it for $70 knowing that it would need some work. Didn't realize that no one (within the state of California) is interested in repair them. I decided to try to repair the enlarger myself. I ordered a manual from an outfit from Canada (waiting for it to arrive). I am reaching out to the members of the forum for advise and information on the best way to proceed. Any information that you can provide would be appreciated.

Sam
    Contact Omega-Sanders. The source today for Omega.

Photographer

What’s wrong with it? Always better to post pix.
    Keith Pitman

Yes please show pictures of what’s wrong or explain... May have parts you need lying around.

As mentioned it is a pretty simple mechanical device with SAE hardware construction. Please post pictures of the faulty points of interest.

Wow, the people that are part of this forum are very responsive. I have included a few pictures to illustrate what I am up against. You will notice that the plastic gears are well worn. Also there is a metal rod or cross member that appears to be a bit bent out of shape, guessing that needs to be replaced. Also there are some plastic bushings that are out of alignment.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR: I found an article (from a gentleman name Bill Schneider) that described how to replace the gears with four flanged roller bearings and four flanged bronze bushings - Order the bushings and bearings.

WHAT I NEED TO FIGURE OUT: The metal cross member/rod that is bent out of wack, is it a part that is easily sourced? Also are there other things that need to be dealt with when servicing an enlarger that is this old/worn?

Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200909_152502449.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	207611Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200909_152043623.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	207612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200909_152338223.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	207610

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by scoleman View Post
    Wow, the people that are part of this forum are very responsive. I have included a few pictures to illustrate what I am up against. You will notice that the plastic gears are well worn. Also there is a metal rod or cross member that appears to be a bit bent out of shape, guessing that needs to be replaced. Also there are some plastic bushings that are out of alignment.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR: I found an article (from a gentleman name Bill Schneider) that described how to replace the gears with four flanged roller bearings and four flanged bronze bushings - Order the bushings and bearings.

WHAT I NEED TO FIGURE OUT: The metal cross member/rod that is bent out of wack, is it a part that is easily sourced? Also are there other things that need to be dealt with when servicing an enlarger that is this old/worn?

Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200909_152502449.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	207611Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200909_152043623.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	207612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200909_152338223.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	207610
    Take that bent rod off and whack it straight with a hammer, roll it on a flat surface to check it. Keep the springs from losing tension by holding them in their most relaxed position (use strong wire).

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
    Take that bent rod off and whack it straight with a hammer, roll it on a flat surface to check it. Keep the springs from losing tension by holding them in their most relaxed position (use strong wire).
    just to clarify... Those spring counter balance tapes can be removed from the bar, just be sure to tie wire something to them so they dont retract into their casings. By raising the head you will reduce the tension on the tapes to make it easier to work on. That will free you up to remove the bar to straighten it as instructed above by norm.