Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shanel 5A Shutter missing the lock ring for attaching to the lens board

Dann Corbit

Shanel 5A Shutter missing the lock ring for attaching to the lens board

I am just getting started in large format photography, so I imagine I will be asking a lot of questions here. (Green horn, wet behind the ears, neophyte, all of that applies)

I just bought a Fuji Fujinar 21cm 210mm f/4.5 f 4.5 Lens w/Shanel 5A Shutter for my Calumet 4x5. It has a 22 inch rail, so the lens should not be too long for the setup (though just barely).

I really like fast lenses for portraits (I use them with my hand held sized camera gear) and the lens looks really beautiful. However, on the back end of the lens and shutter, there is a threaded piece for attachment to the lens board, but no locking ring.

Is it possible to obtain a ring? I imagine that getting one machined is very expensive (possibly more expensive than buying a whole new shutter). At f4.5 the lens is massive, as you can well imagine so if I bought a whole new replacement shutter it would have to be massive as well. I am not even sure that a Copal #3 would be large enough.

So what are my options here? Ideally, I would like to get the missing part. I guess the next option would be to buy a replacement shutter. Perhaps a knurled ring with that diameter and thread pitch is used for other purposes? Or I may have to get one made. Suggestions?

Re: Shanel 5A Shutter missing the lock ring for attaching to the lens board

skgrimes has retaining rings in stock, may have the one you need. bhphotovideo.com/ is an alternative.

You must have got a great price as I see piles of these at eBay with flange for very cheap

and yes the 8" lens will work fine on the rail

flanges or rings can be hard to find...

There is a guy here trying to match up some, he is in EU

ask Kumar, he sells from Japan
    Tin Can

Dann Corbit

I did find this locking nut, but I am not even sure that the threads are exactly 65mm or what the thread pitch is:
    https://www.glaciertanks.com/din-fit...BoC6w8QAvD_BwE
    Or another possibility:
    https://www.grainger.com/product/RACO-Locknut-206D48

Dann Corbit

skgrimes is on vacation, so I will have to wait. B&H said no.
    The B&H guy found a reference that the Copal #3 is a hair too small:
    "I went ahead and ordered a Copal 3 ring from the vendor in Hong Kong. I've done business with him before and it only takes a few days for goods to ship to Japan. Fingers crossed that the ring fits.
    ---------
    Nissin

Nissin
    Aug 17, 2018

Update: I received the Copal 3 ring, but, unfortunately, it doesn't fit. It's too small by the width of the thread. I don't want to pay for a custom made ring, so I'll explore ways of using tape to pad the mount to fit the 65mm hole.
    --------
    Nissin
    "

Or, hot glue.

Dann Corbit

Hot glue is probably better than Epoxy, which I was thinking about. If I used Epoxy, it would never come apart again, but hot glue might.

By the way, you guys probably already know about it, but I found a wonderful shutters manual site:
    https://learncamerarepair.com/produc...2&secondary=35
    which has documents for everyone but me.

I would much rather have a ring so if I decided to clean it or remove fungus I could still take it all apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann Corbit View Post
    I just bought a Fuji Fujinar 21cm 210mm f/4.5 f 4.5 Lens w/Shanel 5A Shutter for my Calumet 4x5. It has a 22 inch rail, so the lens should not be too long for the setup (though just barely).
    22 inches is 55cm, so your Calumet can easily focus to 1:1 (2x draw) with the 210mm, and should handle a 450mm pretty easily.

Dann Corbit

I think I must have been imagining inches instead of centimeters for the focal length. Shows you how green I am. I learn slowly, but I do learn.

I had a Calumet CC-400 with a 22" rail, and did 1:1 with a 210mm f6.1 Xenar. You'll be fine.