Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Seeking guidance on pairing a Nikon 150mm W lens with a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5

  1. #1

    Question Seeking guidance on pairing a Nikon 150mm W lens with a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5

    Hello,

    Please let me know about your hands-on user experience with mounting a Nikon 150mm W lens in a Copal 0 shutter on a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5. I have a few specific questions for any of you with experience with this combination or lens.

    Question 1: What copal size is an Optar 135 F4.7 in a Wollensack shutter [note: this is my current lens]? I found an encyclopedia resource online, and I did not find a clear answer to this question.
    Question 2: Where do you recommend someone go for a replacement Crown Graphic lens board with a Copal 0 shutter? I see an eBay listing for 3rd party parts but I am wary because the original lens board has a unique shape.
    Question 3: What should I be ready to compromise if I use a Nikon 150mm W lens in a Copal 0 shutter on a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5? This question would be first if I knew the answer to the technical questions.
    Question 4: A Copal 0 shutter has a flash pc sync port that works perfectly fine with modern pc sync flashes like a Yongnuo 560IV, right? Based on my research, the answer is yes. However, I have learned to expect the unexpected.

    Thank you in advance for your insight. I will repay the favor to the forum by sharing my experience after using this combination if I chose to go with it .
    Everyone under the sun has an opinion about your work, but yours is the only one that counts.

    https://certainexposures.com

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7,871

    Re: Seeking guidance on pairing a Nikon 150mm W lens with a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5

    1 - Wollensak shutters -- Rapax if native Wolly, Graphex if rebadged for Graflex -- don't conform to the Compur/Copal/Prontor standard.

    2 - skgrimes.com should be able to sell you a new lensboard for 4x5 Pacemaker Graphics bored for a #1. If you go to eBay, look for metal boards for 4x5 Graphics with 41.6 mm holes.

    3 - I don't believe, could be mistaken, that the camera can be closed with a 150/5.6 plasmat type (that's what the Nikkor you asked about is) mounted. That's the only compromise.

    4 - modern is modern, pc connector is pc connector.

    You seem to be a newcomer here, probably haven't found or used this site's resources. Read the FAQs. "The list" will direct you to answers to your questions re shutter specifications can be found. The list is this site's best hidden useful resource. There's a link to it in the first post in this https://www.largeformatphotography.i...mainly)-lenses discussion. Don't dither, click on the link and then click on the link.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nara, Japan
    Posts
    1,133

    Re: Seeking guidance on pairing a Nikon 150mm W lens with a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5

    1: I have seen this lens in a Copal 0 shutter, though I don't know if the cells are interchangeable between Wollensak and Copal shutters.
    3: If your camera has a side mounted rangefinder it will need adjustment. If top mounted, you'll need a cam.
    4: Yes, the shutter will work with modern flash units.

    Kumar

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7,871

    Re: Seeking guidance on pairing a Nikon 150mm W lens with a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5

    Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    1: I have seen this lens in a Copal 0 shutter, though I don't know if the cells are interchangeable between Wollensak and Copal shutters.
    3: If your camera has a side mounted rangefinder it will need adjustment. If top mounted, you'll need a cam.
    4: Yes, the shutter will work with modern flash units.

    Kumar
    1 -- they aren't

  5. #5
    David Schaller
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Williamstown, MA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Seeking guidance on pairing a Nikon 150mm W lens with a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5

    If I were you, I would leave the Optar alone, and just buy a lens board for the new 150, and use the ground glass to focus. Original and knock off Copal 0 lens boards for your Crown are plentiful and cheap. Check eBay or the for sale section here.

  6. #6

    Re: Seeking guidance on pairing a Nikon 150mm W lens with a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    You seem to be a newcomer here, probably haven't found or used this site's resources. Read the FAQs. "The list" will direct you to answers to your questions re shutter specifications can be found. The list is this site's best hidden useful resource. There's a link to it in the first post in this https://www.largeformatphotography.i...mainly)-lenses discussion. Don't dither, click on the link and then click on the link.
    You are right! I am (relatively) new. Thank you for that information. I'm checking the link now.
    Everyone under the sun has an opinion about your work, but yours is the only one that counts.

    https://certainexposures.com

  7. #7

    Re: Seeking guidance on pairing a Nikon 150mm W lens with a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5

    Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    3: If your camera has a side mounted rangefinder it will need adjustment. If top mounted, you'll need a cam.
    Kumar
    Thank you! You just reminded me that I need to continue working on fixing my side rangefinder. I am painfully close to perfect but vertical calibration is slightly off. I might as well wait until after an upgrade.
    Everyone under the sun has an opinion about your work, but yours is the only one that counts.

    https://certainexposures.com

  8. #8

    Re: Seeking guidance on pairing a Nikon 150mm W lens with a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5

    Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    If I were you, I would leave the Optar alone, and just buy a lens board for the new 150, and use the ground glass to focus. Original and knock off Copal 0 lens boards for your Crown are plentiful and cheap. Check eBay or the for sale section here.
    Thank you! Yes, I am not too preoccupied with the rangefinder. After I've done better work with the Graflex, I will probably upgrade to something lighter without a rangefinder. I have not ordered a new lens yet. The Optar looks good. It just won't work well as a Graflarger lens based on the advice I am reading.
    Everyone under the sun has an opinion about your work, but yours is the only one that counts.

    https://certainexposures.com

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Anglesey, North Wales, UK [53.3N 4.4W]
    Posts
    484

    Re: Seeking guidance on pairing a Nikon 150mm W lens with a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5

    [QUOTE=Dan Fromm; 4 - modern is modern, pc connector is pc connector.[/QUOTE]

    A fuller explanation is that cameras are [normally] fitted with either a cold accessory shoe or a hot accessory shoe.

    To use a flash on a camera with a cold accessory shoe [or no accessory shoe] you use the pc sync cable.

    To use a flash on a camera with a hot accessory shoe you just fit the flash gun into that shoe and the flash will fire when triggered by the camera's/shutter's mechanism.

    There is an accessory/adaptor that enables a cold accessory shoe to become a hot accessory shoe and this accessory/adaptor uses a pc cable [connected to the pc post on the camera/shutter] and its hot shoe is fitted into the camera's cold accessory shoe.

    Hope this makes sense and clarifies issues

    Regards
    Tony

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7,871

    Re: Seeking guidance on pairing a Nikon 150mm W lens with a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    A fuller explanation is that cameras are [normally] fitted with either a cold accessory shoe or a hot accessory shoe.

    To use a flash on a camera with a cold accessory shoe [or no accessory shoe] you use the pc sync cable.

    To use a flash on a camera with a hot accessory shoe you just fit the flash gun into that shoe and the flash will fire when triggered by the camera's/shutter's mechanism.

    There is an accessory/adaptor that enables a cold accessory shoe to become a hot accessory shoe and this accessory/adaptor uses a pc cable [connected to the pc post on the camera/shutter] and its hot shoe is fitted into the camera's cold accessory shoe.

    Hope this makes sense and clarifies issues

    Regards
    Tony
    Tony, are you thinking of LF cameras? I've had a few and shopped more. None, including a Graflex SLR, has had a flash shoe.

    The typical LF camera has a lens in a leaf shutter. Most relatively modern -- essentially post-WW II -- leaf shutters have flash terminals. In the US, at various times, bipost; ASA, also called Kodak; and, most recently, PC as fitted to Prontor, Compur, Copal, ... shutters.

Similar Threads

  1. Seeking Focusing Panel with Ground Glass for Crown Graflex 23
    By jenskuepper in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-Aug-2012, 12:06
  2. seeking question regarding Crown Graphic
    By Terence Falk in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-May-2010, 11:22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •