Thread: DIY Mirror Scope for Reversal shots

DIY Mirror Scope for Reversal shots

In making reversal shots (positive image)from my Afghan Box Camera, the photo will be a mirror image. So I built a mirror scope to fit onto my lens so that I can make the photo to be of the right orientation again.

In using the scope , the camera lens will be perpendicular to the subject and the mirror placed at 45dgree will reflect the image into the lens.

I am new to CAD design and 3D printing so the prototype is really crude but I thought I will share it here anyway. The mirror used is acrylic mirror which I bought from an art supply store.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200907_105018.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	207544
    The scope, pardon the tape.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200907_105104.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	207545
    Slotted into a Fujinon 210mm lens

Here the video I made about it.

Re: DIY Mirror Scope for Reversal shots

years ago, I fiddled with a project doing vertical shots of table-top compositions. To do this, I went to an auction site and got a sSpiratone "Mirro-Tach", a screw on mirror attachment. My recollection is that it was not expensive. The only adaptation I did for this was to use a step-up ring . . .it just screwed onto the lens.

While I have not done any reversal imaging, I imagine that this would be an effective option.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 11-Sep-2020 at 18:27.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

OP, after you're done prototyping and have a solid design that satisfies you, replace the acrylic mirror with a glass front surface mirror. That's what the Spiratone device Mr. Bedo mentioned uses.

btw you can use a lesser grade first surface mirror sold as kalidascope mirror. those are cheaper but still very good quality.

btw you can use a lesser grade first surface mirror sold as kalidascope mirror. those are cheaper but still very good quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Kaleidoscope-...9491020&sr=8-2

thank you all for the comments, I will check out for first surface mirror as suggested.

I purchased a Kodak Copying Ektanon lens a few years ago (well, more like 15) that came with a high quality mirror prism (see these pictures). I sold the lens but held onto the prism to make "reversed" tintypes. Perhaps you can find something similar.