Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calumet Question: CC 400: rising front slips down after releasing knob

Calumet Question: CC 400: rising front slips down after releasing knob

I have a calumet CC400 monorail view camera (the model that was a continuation of the Kodak 4x5 master view.) The rising front doesn't remain in place when you release the knob.

I know that on the speed graphics there were a couple of screws that could tighten a plate against the focusing shaft ("axle") on the bed.

I don't see anything that looks like that to tighten the rising front on the Calumet. (There may be something similar, but I'm not seeing it.)

I do see that when you push the knob in, the round (pinion?) gear isn't fully lined up (centered) on the vertical toothed gear rack.

Is there some way of adjusting the tightness of the rising front on the Calumet so that it will stay up and not just slip back down? The camera doesn't show abuse, so I'm hoping it's just a matter of adjusting something....

Bob.

Re: Calumet Question: CC 400: rising front slips down after releasing knob

The knob for rise and fall is spring loaded. You push in to adjust, and then it snaps out to lock. There's nothing to tighten or adjust. On mine, the gear is fully lined up with the track when pushed in, and about half-way lined up when snapped out.

It's a simple mechanism with just the shaft (with the gear you see, and a key of some sort you don't see inside the block on the front standard), matching notches for the key inside the block on the front standard, a spring (under the adjusting knob), and the knob (held on by a set screw). There is also a metal 'fender' or cover over the gear, I assume to protect the bellows. I'd start by taking the knob off (don't lose the spring) and go from there. I would think either yours is gummed up preventing the shaft's full movement, or the internal key or notch inside that block have been forced and stripped.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

Thanks. I see the fender and what I can see of the gears looks OK. The spring in the knob is present. I'll try cleaning before anything else. I'm thinking I could spray some radio/TV cleaner into the gears and see if that helps. And I'll see if there is lube on the edges of the front standard (the part that slides up and down.) If there is lube on it, there probably shouldn't be.
    bob

I wouldn't start with spraying anything in there. See if you can get the shaft out by removing the guard over the gear, the knob, and spring off first, then you can see if anything is broken. If you lower the front standard all the way down there should be clearance to get the shaft out without running into the bellows.

I'm assuming that the shaft has some sort of key on it that mates with a slot inside that block it runs through. If yours is broken, that would explain why it's not locking when it's back out.

You said:

'I do see that when you push the knob in, the round (pinion?) gear isn't fully lined up (centered) on the vertical toothed gear rack. '

-This leads me to believe that something might be broken on your camera. When my gear isn't centered on the vertical toothed track, the front standard is locked. It's only when I push in the knob so the gear is fully lined up with the vertical track does my standard move. If yours moves without pushing the knob in, then that key (or however it works) might be sheared off, or the mating surface inside the block it runs through is ground down. If you turn the knob without pushing it in, does it feel like it's skipping past something like a worn slot?
    Reid

I don't know if it would work for this, but for cameras with gear drives that were too loose (and had no lock) that would move by themselves), I would wrap the gear and axle near the bearing with a little plumbers teflon tape... Just enough to create some resistance so gear would only turn if turned by knob hand...

Start with just a wrap or two, and add more if still slipping...

Not the most elegant solution, but does work...

Steve K

I don't see any broken or stripped teeth on any of the gears, and it doesn't feel to me like it's slipping. When I remove the knob, maybe I'll see the key you are mentioning, but right now, I don't see it. I hope that opening it up discloses the problem....

The teflon tape will be a last resort, but I do have some. If the key is broken or ground off (again, it doesn't show that much use), it may be tough to come up with a replacement. Do you happen to know if this is a common problem with the Calumet?

Yes, I would think a replacement would be hard to come by if it’s broken. At that point it might be easier to replace the camera, which is a bit extreme, though there are always a few around it seems. They are one of the least expensive cameras to buy too, which is surprising considering how solid and useful they are.

There might be some DYI solution too, like adding a set screw or something else to hold the standard in place. The plumbers tape idea mentioned would probably work, but might need to be replaced periodically, and probably right at the time you need it to work. At least that’s how my luck seems to run...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reid

If the knob works a pin, I suspect the pin is the problem--that it's broken or missing. I don't have time right now to deal with it, but hopefully within a couple of weeks. Who knows, maybe a parts camera will turn up or someone will be parting on out on the auction site.

gaff tape

Always have some Black Gaff Tape

It can temporarily fix anything

Not Duct Tape

Ever
    Tin Can

There is a stationary finger that jams/locks the pinion when in the "outward" position.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5846.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	207569
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com