Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: B&W Paper Reversal New Method?

  1. #1
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,306

    B&W Paper Reversal New Method?

    Joe Van Cleave has a lot of very good You Tubes

    Below is one which is a combo, first a DIY box camera used to take the paper negative and reverse process it quickly on camera

    Then he does a color print reversal all in 14 minute

    Box Camera Demo at QueLab

    Joe also love typewriters...
    2022

  2. #2
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,306

    Re: B&W Paper Reversal New Method?

    2022

  3. #3
    multi format
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    local
    Posts
    4,097

    Re: B&W Paper Reversal New Method?

    hey randy

    the fun thing about using hydrogen peroxide for reversals is you DON"T need to use the high percentage one but you can use the cheep stuff found at the dollar store or big lots or wherever you might pick up your .99 pint of H2O2. one thing I learned from a mad scientist named NedL is if you have an ample supply of dilute citric acid and water you just squirt a little in the peroxide until it starts to vanish the image. it takes a little experimentation to find the "sweet spot" but once you find it, it makes making reversals kind of fun. Another mad scientist DonF got me hooked on using some sort of rust removal stuff ( I think its called rust out or rust away found at big box hardware stores like hoome despot ) as a fogging developer/fixer monobath ( I've rinsed in water and re-fixed ). I'm not a "pro" like ned or don or joe but its fun and easy and you don't need crazy chemistry to do reversals.
    YMMV
    enjoy your coffee

  4. #4

    Re: B&W Paper Reversal New Method?

    Joe definitely deserves credit for popularizing paper reversal through his innovative ideas and videos. But B&W paper reversal gets 'reinvented' frequently with different people using different developer and bleach. The basic process is quite old and remains the same. It is well summarized by Ron Mowrey in this post from 2011:
    https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread.../#post-1029646

    I've used the method described by Ron and it works perfectly.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    198

    Re: B&W Paper Reversal New Method?

    Lovely demo. I never try hydrogen peroxide bleach before but might give it a go. Nice 8x10 developing tray used at 06:25. is that a DIY tank?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    550

    Re: B&W Paper Reversal New Method?

    Here another typewriter lover...
    Tin Can, very interesting. Thanks a lot for sharing.

  7. #7
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,306

    Re: B&W Paper Reversal New Method?

    The tank is a prototype combination film holder and processing tray



    Quote Originally Posted by pound View Post
    Lovely demo. I never try hydrogen peroxide bleach before but might give it a go. Nice 8x10 developing tray used at 06:25. is that a DIY tank?
    2022

  8. #8
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,306

    Re: B&W Paper Reversal New Method?

    Joe has a friend who is also innovative


    Direct Positive Color Prints With Ethan Moses

    Quote Originally Posted by Raghu Kuvempunagar View Post
    Joe definitely deserves credit for popularizing paper reversal through his innovative ideas and videos. But B&W paper reversal gets 'reinvented' frequently with different people using different developer and bleach. The basic process is quite old and remains the same. It is well summarized by Ron Mowrey in this post from 2011:
    https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread.../#post-1029646

    I've used the method described by Ron and it works perfectly.
    2022

  9. #9
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,306

    Re: B&W Paper Reversal New Method?

    John, I was reading your blog yesterday, you always have a fresh mind

    I am working on a variation today, more when I know more

    Now time to make upside down Aero-Press coffee as taught by Joe!

    Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    hey randy

    the fun thing about using hydrogen peroxide for reversals is you DON"T need to use the high percentage one but you can use the cheep stuff found at the dollar store or big lots or wherever you might pick up your .99 pint of H2O2. one thing I learned from a mad scientist named NedL is if you have an ample supply of dilute citric acid and water you just squirt a little in the peroxide until it starts to vanish the image. it takes a little experimentation to find the "sweet spot" but once you find it, it makes making reversals kind of fun. Another mad scientist DonF got me hooked on using some sort of rust removal stuff ( I think its called rust out or rust away found at big box hardware stores like hoome despot ) as a fogging developer/fixer monobath ( I've rinsed in water and re-fixed ). I'm not a "pro" like ned or don or joe but its fun and easy and you don't need crazy chemistry to do reversals.
    YMMV
    2022

  10. #10

    Re: B&W Paper Reversal New Method?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raghu Kuvempunagar View Post
    Joe definitely deserves credit for popularizing paper reversal through his innovative ideas and videos. But B&W paper reversal gets 'reinvented' frequently with different people using different developer and bleach. The basic process is quite old and remains the same. It is well summarized by Ron Mowrey in this post from 2011:
    https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread.../#post-1029646

    I've used the method described by Ron and it works perfectly.
    Previous discussion on 'new' methods:
    https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread.../#post-2230443

    Technical discussion on 'old' RA4 reversal techniques:
    https://www.photo.net/discuss/thread...essing.135328/
    https://www.photo.net/discuss/thread.../#post-1652928

Similar Threads

  1. Paper Negative Reversal Process (In camera positives)
    By WayneStevenson in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2020, 15:37
  2. E6 (Color Reversal) Film Developing - 6 bath method
    By assanto in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 26-Dec-2015, 23:01
  3. Black and White reversal paper from Russia
    By photonsoup in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 13-Aug-2015, 15:59
  4. Reversal Printing
    By Matt_1193 in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-Jan-2001, 13:35

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •