Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southern California incinerator source for black-and-white negatives?

Re: Southern California incinerator source for black-and-white negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    As I understand it, BW didn't burn many and not the good stuff. It made for a good show.

Negs will shred fine.
    Leading up to his 80th birthday, most all of Brett's negatives were soaked in large cans of water before being transported to the county dump in Salinas.

On the morning of his birthday in 1991 at his Carmel Valley home , surrounded by an international press, Brett tossed a few 8x10 negatives into the flames of his fireplace.

He consented to having several dozen negatives saved for the Brett Weston archive at the CCP in Tucson.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Leading up to his 80th birthday, most all of Brett's negatives were soaked in large cans of water before being transported to the county dump in Salinas.

On the morning of his birthday in 1991 at his Carmel Valley home , surrounded by an international press, Brett tossed a few 8x10 negatives into the flames of his fireplace.

He consented to having several dozen negatives saved for the Brett Weston archive at the CCP in Tucson.
    Great info, Merg....thank you for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Why the need to destroy them

I can understand recycling easily

Why not let future generations find them where ever they are

Time Capsule can be a 20 gallon barrel like this and may be incinerated

Eagle 1650 Yellow Blow-Molded HDPE Lab Pack with Screw Top Lid, 20 Gallon Capacity, 20.75" Height, 20.5" Diameter
    Thanks for the link...will prob just look into a shredder....something about being the maker and wanting control over what stays in the world...my first art teacher was a ceramicist, army veteran, was friends with Ernst Haas, he would row out into the middle of a lake where he lived and smash his unsuccessful pots with a hammer and drop them overboard. Guess I absorbed a little of that...

I do not understand that destructive urge. While it may seem like failures now, it might be the only memories of something that persist through time. If we would only have "artistic valuable" photos, then we would not have a memory of what ordinary life 50 years ago looked like. What might look like landfill now might be the only surviving memories of something later on.

The only memories I have of my grand parents are not highly valued photos taken by recognised artists but snapshots of the family album. The value of a simple streetshot that has no meaning now may later be the only thing we have to go on how that street looked that day.

I don't delete anything. Except maybe photos of the back of lenscaps.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Just throw them to any of the existing fires

/s

Quote Originally Posted by Chester McCheeserton View Post
    I don't have fireplace like Brett Weston, has anyone on here taken a stash of negatives to a commercial incinerator or used their own?
    Shred them. If there are enough, take them to a commercial shredder. Brett Weston did not burn all or even a majority of his negatives. Some he soaked in water, let them stick together and put them in the trash. Others he damaged by punching holes in the corners and writing on them with a Sharpie.

Fully agree and why I posted these yesterday, 40 year old Polaroids, few memories left of Anne, the location now burned. A happy moment, defiantly not art

I got them back 5 years ago, never thought I would see them again

and I love finding old negative plates of anything

soon we too pass

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I do not understand that destructive urge. While it may seem like failures now, it might be the only memories of something that persist through time. If we would only have "artistic valuable" photos, then we would not have a memory of what ordinary life 50 years ago looked like. What might look like landfill now might be the only surviving memories of something later on.

The only memories I have of my grand parents are not highly valued photos taken by recognised artists but snapshots of the family album. The value of a simple streetshot that has no meaning now may later be the only thing we have to go on how that street looked that day.

I don't delete anything. Except maybe photos of the back of lenscaps.
    Tin Can