Thread: Need Guidance on Getting a Sensitometer

Re: Need Guidance on Getting a Sensitometer

Found this in old thread

Download it now, before the end...

Basic Photographic Sensitometry by Kodak 2006

https://www.kodak.com/uploadedfiles/...y_workbook.pdf
    Tin Can

If using that workbook (everyone should read it), it assumes you will know the output of the sensitometer. One can find that, using the principle in post #42 above.

By definition the exposure to produce 0.1 density on a H&D curve for ISO 100 film will always be 8.0 millilux seconds.

Since Logs let us add and subtract, we can change that to the Log of 8 which is 0.9, now that can be subtracted from sensitometer light intensity in log units.

Log of Light Source millulux seconds = 0.9 (by definition for 100 film) + Step Wedge Density that produced 0.1 on the film.

So if you plotted Ilford Delta 100 and find which step of the step wedge in your sensitometer gave you the 0.1.

Say it is step 6, so you have already disassembled the sensitometer and measured step six and got a step wedge density of 2.0

Sensitomter Log Millilux seconds = 0.9 + 2.0 = 2.9 = 800 millilux-seconds

I'm not sure if the original responder really wants a sensitometer,or a densitometer.

Sensitometer. Confirmed with PM.

Wow fun thread. Use a sensitometer to find things out about fresh film: your development time. The test you do that results in an ASA parameter match, with fresh film in a standard developer, logically gives you (by trusting the manufacturer) the amount of light which struck the film. So when you meet the parameters then you have calibrated the sensitometer.

Then when you test an unknown film in an unknown developer. I have a roll of 1940’s Super-XX that was nominally 200 (100 old ASA but 200 new ASA). It would have been 200 at the time but depending on fog (If I develop in D-76 1:1), or if I add Benzotriazole to the developer), I expect it to test out as 50 or 100.

The “speed point of a 200 speed film will shift to the right on my graph one stop (0.3 log units) compared to TRI-X, but since the film is unknown due to age, it may shift significantly more.

Bill, you have solidified my thoughts on how to use my new gear

This is all new to me and I am an old dog

Thank you!

Set my own standard with new film, then compare and contrast is my understanding

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Wow fun thread. Use a sensitometer to find things out about fresh film: your development time. The test you do that results in an ASA parameter match, with fresh film in a standard developer, logically gives you (by trusting the manufacturer) the amount of light which struck the film. So when you meet the parameters then you have calibrated the sensitometer.

Then when you test an unknown film in an unknown developer. I have a roll of 1940’s Super-XX that was nominally 200 (100 old ASA but 200 new ASA). It would have been 200 at the time but depending on fog (If I develop in D-76 1:1), or if I add Benzotriazole to the developer), I expect it to test out as 50 or 100.

The “speed point of a 200 speed film will shift to the right on my graph one stop (0.3 log units) compared to TRI-X, but since the film is unknown due to age, it may shift significantly more.
    Tin Can