Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper flahshing in Photoshop

Paper flahshing in Photoshop

What is a good equivalent to paper flashing in Photoshop 7?

Curves, or levels if you are new to the concept.

JJ, I was more thinking to add a layer of very light tonality to the all image.
    No need to be sarcastic, thank you anyway.

Yes, Matthew, that is exactly what I am trying to do.
    I would hate to use the magnetic lasso to flash the areas I need to darken.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Generally when you flash paper, you are attempting to move the whole image up along the curve, to get the highlights out of the toe of the paper. In photoshop you can simply change the shape of the curve to suit your needs.

I've dealt with some images, though, that had virtually no discernable information in the brightest highlights. Changing the shape of the curve of nothing doesn't help much. In these cases, I've used a layer filled with a light color, and placed it behind (or in front of) the image layer. If it was a color image, I would choose a color from the highlights of the image, and adjust its intensity.

Then it's a matter of finding a combination of blend mode and opacity that gives a nice result. Sometimes a slightly counterintuitive blend mode would do the trick. The idea is to put some substance into those blank highlights. I'd say the effect is somewhere between flashing and tea toning (but with more options than you get from a tea bag). I've only had to do it a couple of times, but in those cases it's helped.

"you are attempting to move the whole image up along the curve"

I disagree with the above statement. A paper preflash only affects the highlights to midtones and has no discernable effect on the shadows.

but to get back to the question, I agree with jj. Curves are probably a little more intuitive if you are used to H&D curves. Levels can be used to shift the tonal distribution up and down the curve whilst leaving end points untouched and/or can adjust the white and black points of the image, but you can play with those as well. Remember that you can undo anything you do so experimentation costs nothing but time.

"to add a layer of very light tonality to the all image" create a new layer at top of layer stack. Fill layer with any colour of choice then adjust opacity% or fill% or blending mode to suit.

If you want to add tone to a B+W image then a curves adjustment layer is a good option but your image must be in RGB mode for it too work. I think Paul Butzi has a mini tutorial on this at his web site.

Yes, yes, yes !
    I got the info I was looking for.
    Matt, I will try your option first, seems closer to what I want.
    Thank you, Matt, Paul, Rob and JJ.

JJ, I was more thinking to add a layer of very light tonality to the all image. No need to be sarcastic, thank you anyway.

You think that was sarcasm? I was trying to help. By your post, how could I tell anyhing about your experience? Screw you.

with all due respect jj,

That expression usually precedes disrespectful intent.

there really was no need for your last response. I myself found your original post could be taken as a little blunt.

I truly did not mean to trample any sensitive feelings, but keep in mind that you and you alone are responsible for your feelings. Not me, nor anyone else. If the original respondent found it sarcastic, he might look to his own predisposition.

Lets try and keep this forum a place where we are happy to communicate without the fear of reprisals.

What is your post if not reprisal? I think you are trying trolling for votes for Net Conscience. In my experience, persons who jump into the role of manners-cop are often the same who would enforce medicrity because it is 'nice'.

Get some skin.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

"I disagree with the above statement. A paper preflash only affects the highlights to midtones and has no discernable effect on the shadows."

I think you're right; it has more to do with getting values above the exposure threshold of the paper than it does with the curve.

In general, though, the images that call for this seem to respond better to manipulations of layers than to curve ajustments, in my experience.