Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tools to remove anatomical grip on Technika V

tools to remove anatomical grip on Technika V

Hi all, I recently bought a Super Technika V. It came with the anatomical grip mounted and also a spare hand strap with mounting plate. The screws to remove the grip mounting plate are non standard slotted screws. All of my slotted bits do not fit. The slot on the screws is very thin for the diameter of the screw. Can anyone recommend the correct slotted bits to remove the grip mount? I don’t want to damage the screws by using the wrong tool.

Re: tools to remove anatomical grip on Technika V

Purchased an ORIA tool kit locally for around $20 and have yet to find a screw that one of the bits will not fit into.

https://www.amazon.com/ORIA-Screwdri...4-135149aa9081

Go to a car shop and buy a set of spark plug feeler gauges (*). Cut to size and fit in a vise grip. Or be fancy and make a handle for it.

(*) a set of separate blades for each size, not those "ramp" types
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Clamp a quarter into a vice grips. That should do it. If not, use a dime.

Please do not try any home made screwdrivers. I am quit sure you are dealing with narrow European Style screw slots. The heads are large for size of screw. The slots are very narrow, shallow and precision made. Most of the screws have a slot .020" or .025" thick. Plaubel is another company that used them and used screws can sell for over $10 each.

This is what you need: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...s-prod425.aspx

I bought this set and they work like a charm. Some of your screws may have even thinner slots. You can measure them with feeler gauges. Good luck.

I did a complete (needed) rebuild of a Tek III more than several years ago, and I remember the flat head screws came out OK using one of my Wiha (German) screwdrivers, but mine were a straight (flat) slot... I seem to remember they were not too tight, in fact maybe one was a little loose...

But the first thing to check is inside the body shell where the screws come in and see if there is a retaining nut or threadlok where the screws come in... Then soften the screw paint or lok with micro application of solvent before you start...

I don't use the grip on mine as it is big and takes up storage space in case or bag, and my camera always goes on a tripod... The grip is so big that I would never pick a fight with a guy who's hand would fit it!!! Also a bit rough on the wrists if you were handholding it all day...

Steve K

Thanks for all the replies, very useful

Quote Originally Posted by RivetGun View Post
    Please do not try any home made screwdrivers. I am quit sure you are dealing with narrow European Style screw slots. The heads are large for size of screw. The slots are very narrow, shallow and precision made. Most of the screws have a slot .020" or .025" thick. Plaubel is another company that used them and used screws can sell for over $10 each.

This is what you need: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...s-prod425.aspx

I bought this set and they work like a charm. Some of your screws may have even thinner slots. You can measure them with feeler gauges. Good luck.

Is that the 18-piece thin-tip bit set for ~$80? The link diverted to the home page of Brownells uk site.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I did a complete (needed) rebuild of a Tek III more than several years ago, and I remember the flat head screws came out OK using one of my Wiha (German) screwdrivers, but mine were a straight (flat) slot... I seem to remember they were not too tight, in fact maybe one was a little loose...

But the first thing to check is inside the body shell where the screws come in and see if there is a retaining nut or threadlok where the screws come in... Then soften the screw paint or lok with micro application of solvent before you start...

I don't use the grip on mine as it is big and takes up storage space in case or bag, and my camera always goes on a tripod... The grip is so big that I would never pick a fight with a guy who's hand would fit it!!! Also a bit rough on the wrists if you were handholding it all day...

Steve K
    Apart from being large the grip does add significant weight. I weighed mine at 275 grams without mounting plate, whereas the hand strap with mounting plate and screws is 47g. I suspect that the mounting plate and screws for the grip would be close to the weight of the handstrap, so the total weight saving of the swap would be 275 grams, which is the weight of another lens.

Since it is my first Technika, I thought I would at least try the grip since the camera has a coupled lens. But after briefly trying in the back yard I quickly found out that it is very uncomfortable to hand hold. It is different to hand holding a heavy SLR with long lens because in that case you can support the weight with both hands. For the Technika you need to support the full 3kg weight with one hand while you focus with the other.

I will probably keep the grip so I can sell the full set if I decide to sell the camera in the future, but will use the hand strap to minimise weight and size while using the camera. All you need is something secure to prevent dropping the camera between the bag and the tripod.

When you remove camera from bag, open bed in your hands, and insert your fingertips inside of top edge of bodyshell... It works as a balanced lift point over top of camera... ;-)

Steve K