Thread: Fujinon C 450mm F/12 .5 (or another) to replace Fujinon T 400mm F/8 for Lightweight

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fujinon C 450mm F/12 .5 (or another) to replace Fujinon T 400mm F/8 for Lightweight

I've a Fujinon 400T which weighs a megaton. I hear the 450mm is light, small, etc. but also rare and frankly for backpacking looks likely to need an extension board for my Chamonix 45F-2... so the weight savings might be lost to a stick of wood and some bulk. Loving the 35mm film equivalent of a 135mm telephoto, I'm also trying to deal with the weight / bulk issue to get the package of gear down to max portability. Yes, I don't carry everything and am happy to split into packages... this isn't intended as a pack mule question so much as a lightweight telephoto question. I've got a Fujinon 240A, and I know a lot of folks jump next to the 300, but I went to the 400/450 as a natural for me.... only to ponder the 700 grams and how often am I taking this out?

Related "DUH" question: Am I right in assuming that the Flange Focal Length measure tells me the extension between the front and rear standards for focus at infinity? Reading off the lens charts.... it "looks" that to be the circumstance. And if so, a Fujinon 600mm T has a shorter "draw" between the standards than the 450C. And of course this means the 300T is looking a lot more interesting from a practical backpack type of perspective.

So I ask your guidance... besides "go back to your MF and 35mm and leave us alone. You want portable in a LF camera? Go to the gym, benchpress 600 in squats and man up!" Right. I mean as in absolutely. Only at my geezing age, finding the time to work someone else's body into shape to do that sort of thing is probably NOT happening. Thanks in advance for your contribution. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau; 3-Sep-2020 at 06:52. Reason: Paragraph spacing.