Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krakatoa explodes The most powerful volcanic eruption in recorded history

Krakatoa explodes The most powerful volcanic eruption in recorded history

On this day

Who shot it?
    Tin Can

Re: Krakatoa explodes The most powerful volcanic eruption in recorded history

Nobody, that's a stock volcano shot.

Drew Wiley

Hmm... There was plenty of flash powder at the original event.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300px-Krakatoa_eruption_lithograph.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	207266

Drew Wiley

Burned bodies of tigers and people were found floating in the ocean almost a thousand miles away. Reminds me of when my brother and I stuffed a Halloween pumpkin with rifle powder, borrowed a plunger box from the well driller, hid behind the granite well house, and pushed the plunger. A couple weeks later I found a piece of the pumpkin in a pasture nearly a mile away. Krakatoa was a much bigger pumpkin, however. The present Krakatoa is basically a parasite cone inside the vastly bigger crater of the former version; but perhaps in another 50,000 years of so it will start flexing really big muscle again.

I did Karaoke in a bar in Scranton about 10 years ago. Only time ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    . . . .Reminds me of when my brother and I stuffed a Halloween pumpkin with rifle powder, borrowed a plunger box from the well driller, hid behind the granite well house, and pushed the plunger. A couple weeks later I found a piece of the pumpkin in a pasture nearly a mile away. . . . ..
    Do you really think people are gullible enough to believe that story? It defies the laws of projectile physics and common sense, unless the pumpkin piece floated there somehow like the tigers and people.

Trying to picture an old wet plate photographer. Huge boom, pyroclastic flow and shock wave making its way across the bay towards you. You got out and start setting up your tripod and sensitizing your plate. Hmm someone might have attempted it, but his/her tale was never told. The modern equivalent of this would be photographers around Mt St Helen when it went off. Some didn't make it back but their film did.

A photo from my collection...appears to be a contact print, possibly glass plate.

Name:	20200831_143859~2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	207327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200831_143909~2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	207328

Very interesting

Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    A photo from my collection...appears to be a contact print, possibly glass plate.

Name:	20200831_143859~2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	207327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200831_143909~2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	207328
    Tin Can