Thread: Ilex n°4 ACME shutter problem

Ilex n°4 ACME shutter problem

I have this tricolor camera with an Dogmar 8.25" in an Ilex n°4 ACME shutter that needs some care. The first problem is that I cannot get it off the camera... I do not see a way to get access to the back.

First I thought that maybe I could loosen the screws that hold the bellow at the front and then so have acces to the back of shutter and lens. But 2 screws are behind the shutter. So that cannot be the way to go. Getting through the whole camera would mean a lot of alignment to be done (pellicles need to be taken out then).

Now can it be that this shutter is simply screwed into some kind of flange? Is there a retaining ring at the back? I have never seen a loose Ilex 4 from behind so I have no idea if I'm looking at the wrong side of it.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Re: Ilex n°4 ACME shutter problem

Acme shutters are typically screwed into a flange, and so turning the whole shutter counter-clockwise would (typically) remove it. That said, Tricolor cameras may be different, but I have never seen one with a retaining ring.

Ok, I tried but no movement in it. Any ideas how to get it moving? I don't really fancy getting penetrating oil on the thread. Or worse getting the torch out to heat it up.

1. Remove the lens elements and freeze the shutter.
    And/or
    2. Get an adjustable hose clamp which will fit around the shutter w/o resting on any lever
    3. tighten down the clamp and tap with a hammer.
    If there is no screw in the back of the shutter protruding into the ring,it will come loose.

A picture might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    A picture might help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    1. Remove the lens elements and freeze the shutter.
    And/or
    2. Get an adjustable hose clamp which will fit around the shutter w/o resting on any lever
    3. tighten down the clamp and tap with a hammer.
    If there is no screw in the back of the shutter protruding into the ring,it will come loose.
    Update time.

1: I cannot remove the lens element at the back so that might not be a good idea.
    2,3: difficult but see further

I wanted to make some photos as Jason suggested. So I got better light and yep, there is a screw from the back into that blocks the shutter.

So I have to go in through the back. But I really don't see mee removing those pellicle mirrors. Ok, removing won't be hard but putting them back and aligning everything is not something I want to try. Not at this point in time. If the camera could be made working (lens and shutter working, bellow tight and color filters replaced) then I might do this and have the pellicles replaced as well. As it is now I first want to see if that camera can be resurrected and a tri-color photo be taken and precessed. It is in a rather bad condition.

Alternative might be to cut though the screw

As there seems to be no other option I went in from behind by opening another cover plate of the body. Now I can see the screw but there is no way to get at it in a straight line.

I tried with a long screwdriver but it doesn't move and I don't want to damage so it becomes impossible to remove. Any ideas of tools that might get there?

Would an angled screwdriver help?
    https://www.amazon.com/angled-screwd...ed+screwdriver

Kumar

An angled one wouldn't help, the distance is too large. But the "low profile" screwdrivers on your link could help to get the bellows loose at the front and let me in that way. Thanks for that link, I'm going to look far such a set around here.

Thanks Kumar! Went to my workshop and made a screwdriver to fit between the shutter and front so I could loosen the screws holding the bellow.

Rather simple: 2mmx6mm flat brass with 2 pieces of 4mm brass rod soldered in. Milled one side as two 0.7mmx3.5mm blades at a 90° angle. I left the other side rough for when I need another size.