Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Light Meter for Large Format (4x5) Landscape Photography

Re: Light Meter for Large Format (4x5) Landscape Photography

I started experimenting with using a micro 4/3 digital digital camera as my meter.

It provides the following advantages:
    1. Histogram
    2. Spot meter especially when zoomed in
    3. Allows me to find the picture I want without lugging around the 4x5 and tripod until I found the exact location. I set it to 4:3 which closely matches the 4x5 format. When I find the picture, I just set the tripod.
    4. Zoom allows me to frame the shot and know which lens to use before setting up the 4x5
    5. If shooting BW, I can switch camera to BW to see the scene without color.
    6. Check the exposure on the screen along with the histogram.
    7. Snap a shot to record the scene and settings for future reference. Or videography it and record my settings verbally for transcription at home.

Disadvantages:

1. Not as handy as a dedicated meter
    2. F/22 is smallest aperture for micro 4/3. Other P&S may be much larger.
    3. No incident readings.

I'm still learning and playing with it. So I won't make any claims as to final results. Anyone got any ideas how to improve the operation, I'd be glad to hear from you.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I purchased a Pentax digital spot meter new in 2000 and did extensive side-by-side comparisons with the in-camera meter of my Pentax 67II camera which I also purchased new. Both gave identical readings. When I added LF a couple of years later I used the Pentax spot exclusively for all LF up to and including 810 format until I replaced it with the Sekonic L-758dr. Before selling the Pentax spot I tested against the Sekonic and found that the readings were identical once the readings were correlated (the Sekonic reads to the 1/10 aperture while the Pentax to the 1/3). The bottom line for me was although the Sekonic was more expensive than the Pentax it was the better meter considering the slightly more accurate reading and the size and weight in the supplied holster was less thn the Pentax in its Zone VI holster. So I sold the Pentax for close to what I paid for it new and kept the Sekonic.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

Thomas, my P67 meter readings drifted over time. I still use that particular meter-prism, but never the internal meter itself. Nor did I try to get it recalibrated. My next prism purchase was meterless. My spotmeters, on the other hand, are not only capable of being recalibrated, but have never been more than 1/3 out of sync with each other (all read perfectly linear to each other for about a decade or so, until periodic service) and do indeed read discrete small areas rather than just averaging. Even with my Nikon, which has a good TTL system, I always use a Pentax spotmeter handheld, or risk miscalculations. A rare exception would be quickie snapshooting in the rain with a highly forgiving film like Delta 3200. I once had a Minolta spotmeter too, which read identically to the Pentax ones, but was less intuitive to read.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

My 67II is 20 years old this month and so far I haven't noticed any change in the metering and rarely, if ever, use an outside meter (it has a built-in 1 degree spot meter). Only rarely have I encountered a poorly exposed frame which I attribute to being user error as 99.99% of my images are shot with mirror up and the lens closed down. But then I haven't been using it as much as I once did due to adding a variety of different large formats as well as 645 and Nikon F6. Recently added a 2d F6 so that I can shoot both B&W and E6 on the same outing with auto focus lenses and as with the 2 Pentax MF don't need to carry a separate meter. (Below is a recent E6 exposure [Kodak Eltachrome E100] taken along Calaveras Road in the East Bay about 2 weeks before the present fires with the F6 using its matrix metering function.) Likewise I had no problems with the Pentax digital spot meter during the 15 or so years before switching to the Sekonic and only switched after testing the 2 side-by-side for a week before keeping the Sekonic.

Thomas

For several decades and many cameras, my most often used meter was a Weston Master II or equivalent. Like a Vice grip, it was rarely the perfect tool on any occasion, but it was the best wrong tool thousands of times. Magnificent photographs were produced 150 years ago by photographers who made the most out of whatever they had. Mastering modest tools beats struggling with perfect ones.

Drew Wiley

I have a very early Weston meter that still functions, inherited from my older brother. More of a conversation piece than anything practical. I've worked completely meterless, even getting perfect chrome exposures, just by sheer memory from many analogous lighting situations. But since there's no guarantee my memory itself won't drift, and don't know anyone capable of cleaning the slowly corroding battery contacts inside my brain, I feel a lot more secure having a reliable meter along.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    You could use an Lightmeter app on your phone (~2$)
    Are they \really any good? I mean good enough for LF?

For years, I have used a Minolta Autometer IV f, sometimes with a spot attachment.

Works for me. Find 'em on e-Bay.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I got a Gossen Spot Master for £90 on ebay but I think I was quite lucky. I was the only person to bid on it I presume because it is a lesser known meter, but is accurate and very sophisticated. The only downside is its size (it's pretty big and heavy for a meter) and it has no external display, you can only see the readings through the eyepiece. But it has a dedicated zone system mode and multi-spot metering and that is more than enough for me. I believe it is called the ultra-spot in the US.

Small town, South Carolina, US

The app I use is the Lumu. It has both spot and averaging and many other features. Spot doesn't seem to be 1 degree but that is fine for my purposes.
    Very simple to use. My down load was free but upgrades are available I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Are they \really any good? I mean good enough for LF?

For years, I have used a Minolta Autometer IV f, sometimes with a spot attachment.

Works for me. Find 'em on e-Bay.
    They work quite well. For BW they are good enough in most situations. I do carry a spotmeter as well – but do not need it too often.

I would't rely on them for shooting slides.