Thread: Single Plate Holders 1920s

Foamer

Single Plate Holders 1920s

I couldn't resist and bought a Orionwerk Tropen Luxus 9x12cm camera, vintage 1920s. I'm a sucker for beautiful wood and brass. The camera has a few issues that I can solve--it's missing a few screws and the GG is broken. I can replace both. The other issue is what I need advice on. The camera has a back that slides in & out of a slot. You focus with the back in place, then remove it and replace with the single plate holder to take the shot. Naturally the camera didn't come with a holder; I assumed they were standardized like 4x5 holders. I bought a Leitz pack holder for it thinking it would shoot dry plates and also wet plates. This holder has smooth sides and obviously isn't going to work because there is nothing to engage the grooves in the camera.

My question is, are these single plate holders from the 1920s standardized? I.e., will one from Zeiss, ICA, or Voigtlander likely work in the Orionwerk camera I have? Like everything I buy, I intend to use it. Already have some Lane speed plates for it.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Single Plate Holders 1920s

My experience with these was years ago. I never found 2 different brands which could be interchanged.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    My experience with these was years ago. I never found 2 different brands which could be interchanged.

Uh oh.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Orion Werke (company) was vested in Hannover, but was not one of the companies that in the end merged with the bigger Zeiss, so no, Zeiss and other big brands won't fit the Orion. There were others who made plates for all the well known companies, but ASAIK not for the Orion camera's.
    Since there are not many members here using vintage German camera's best is to find a member on the German LF site who might have such a camera and that came with some original holders: https://grossformatfotografie.de/
    But most probably it will be a trial & error exercise....

My Flickr

Foamer

Have since seen a post that holders for the 9x12 Rodenstock and Contessa Nettle cameras fit. Now looking for those.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria