Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fresnel

Re: Fresnel

thanks for the info

When I was looking for a fresnel to replace the OEM one on my 8x10 Norma, quickly realized that getting a new OEM Sinar fresnel was not going to happen any time soon. Not having the option to get an OEM Sinar, I bought 2 different ones off eBay in which the sellers agreed to take back if I were to pay the return postage. One actually outperformed my vintage Norma fresnel, and the other very, very underperformed my OEM Sinar fresnel.

Hi Greg - I have a Norma 8x10 in need of a fresnel - I don't suppose you can indicate which one you found to be good? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lockwod View Post
    Hi Greg - I have a Norma 8x10 in need of a fresnel - I don't suppose you can indicate which one you found to be good? thanks
    Sorry, it was before 2018 and my eBay history only goes back that far. Unfortunately I have yet to see a fresnel lens with any makers name on it. The original fresnel off my Norma probably dated back to around 1970. I'd think that the manufacturing of fresnel screens has improved in the past 50 some years. The one I ended up returning was definitely the bargain priced one and only backed up the saying "you get what you pay for".

FYI: A few years back acquired one for my 4x5 Sinar X. It did not come with the 4 small counter sunk holes for the screws. Before finally drilling those 4 holes to match the holes in my Sinar 4x5 fresnel older, practiced dozens of times on a similar thickness piece of plexiglass. Took me forever to be able to repeatably drill those holes accurately. Before drilling the final holes in the fresnel, I cut up several pieces of 4x5 plexiglass and used them to first align the holes with a makeshift jig. Fortunately not required with a fresnel for an 8x10 Sinar.