Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson 4990 Pro

Muttley

Epson 4990 Pro

All,

It has been hard to get my work processed and contact sheets made due to time constraints and it is not getting any better for the foreseeable future. I used to have a darkroom but the room was taken over by "other influences". So, with that in mind, I have been looking at scanning processed negatives for contact sheets and also for the web. I have been looking at flatbed scanners and perused past articles on what scanner to get. I shoot 2 14 and 4x5 color neg and BW so it seems like the Epson 4990 Pro version is the one to get and is endorsed by many here.

It seems to fit the bill for what I am mostly going to use it for and also would be good for the occasional print. (up to 4x?) I figure if I want to print larger then I can get it drum scanned for that purpose.

The biggest value to me is that my shooting will increase as my workflow decreases. I guess that is the best thing as time processing and making contact sheets has added to my diminished enthusiasm for getting out with the cameras.

Any thoughts on this scanner?

Epson 4990 Pro

I have tried many scanner/software combinations (not the Microtek i800). Batch scanning is integral to my business and a smooth, easy, accurate, batch scanning interface makes our life allot easier. The best software by far for batch scanning is Silverfast. The 4990 Pro which includes Silverfast is an extraordinary deal and very effective. We currently run two of them because of our volume.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Epson 4990 Pro

Kirk or anyone else:
    Are there any hardware differences between the 4990 Pro and the 4990? The bundled software packages wouldn't be of any use to me.

Epson 4990 Pro

Allen, same hardware ... different software.

BTW, Inow have the i800 sitting here to run threough its paces for review and should get it done in the next few days. I will post a summary of the results.

Muttley

Epson 4990 Pro

Kirk,

Yes, I figured that since I am new to scanning I would be needing the software that comes with the PRO model. So, I take it that this is a good scanner for my needs? Any other things I should look for? I think I saw one of your posts about testing your scanner and that you had to return a few because of defects? Was that you?

Allen,
    I take it you have the color calibration software that comes with the PRO and thus, you can get the 4990? My understanding is that that is all the PRO model has over the 4990.

Epson 4990 Pro

Paul, basically I've migrated from Windows to Linux so most software bundles are of no use. I've downloaded the VueScan demo for Linux and am impressed. I think Vue Scan offers a calibration module with the upgraded version. The last hurdle in the migration plan is Photoshop. Gimp doesn't offer CMYK support. I know, I know...buy a Mac!

Epson 4990 Pro

Paul, yes I have been through a boat load of scanners, but we do a ton of scans. These are amazing pieces of equipment, but not really built for the paces we put them through (50 scans a week, week in week out). I bought a new Epson 4990 a week ago. I paid for it in 2 days with commercial scans......I currently run one 4870 (at my assistants house) and at the studio, two 4990's, a Nikon 8000 and a Microtek 1800f. We are scanning fools.

As per Vuescan, it is a great program with some interesting tricks, but not if you do high volume batch scans (or many contact sheets same thing) and or much correction at the sampling stage (which I recommend making large global color, density and curve adjustments in the scanning software). Vuescan is cheap and gives great scans if you are doing low volume, but SF really shines in a professional volume workflow for many reasons. Plus in the 4990 Pro package deal with the Monaco scanner profiler, it is a superb deal. I run SF on all my scanners but the Nikon where I run Vuescan (because of an odd technical snafu with SF).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Epson 4990 Pro

Kirk:

A few threads ago you mentioned a friend who is going to offer true drum scans at $20. How's that coming along?
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

Epson 4990 Pro

I'll add my praise for Silverfast to Kirk's. Vuescan is a good program, an amazing program for the price but Silverfast is far better if you are interesting in controlling the performance of your scanner rather than letting the software do it.

You might take a look at the series of articles on scanners and scanning basics that Michael Mutmansky and I wrote forthe last three issues of "View Camera." Finally, Michael and I run scanning workshops that might be of interest. The next one will be from March 3-5 at the Valley Photo Center in Springfield, MA. You can download the details from their website (www.valleyphotocenter.com, my website www.fourpointlanding.com, or Midwest Photo's site www.mpex.com.

Feel free to meial me offlist if you have any more specific questions about scanning in general or software or hardware.

Epson 4990 Pro

I highly reccommend Ted's and Michael's articles in VC!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: