Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Oriental Seagull paper gone too?

Re: Is Oriental Seagull paper gone too?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    "I just got the Leica M10 and all the ASPH lenses..... which scanner should i get to post on Instagram ;-).....
    '
    You hit the proverbial nail on the head!

According to Ilford's last annual report in October last year, paper sales were up 4% yoy. They note 'this is the first time we have seen growth in annual paper sales volume, in the history of the company'

Let's hope it continues.

Quote Originally Posted by stefn View Post
    According to Ilford's last annual report in October last year, paper sales were up 4% yoy. They note 'this is the first time we have seen growth in annual paper sales volume, in the history of the company'

Let's hope it continues.
    It's not a huge increase but, as you point out, it is encouraging. I wonder what it looks like at Adox and Foma.

Maybe Ilford sales increasing at the same time Oriental disappearing is not simple coincidence? Oriental paper comes from "Cyber graphics" in Japan which is also the Ilford distributor for Japan. Maybe they are working together to make non-competing territories? No evidence, just imaginative speculation.
    https://www.filmshooterscollective.c...-repetto-10-10
    https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...-japan.139552/

The US distributor has a nasty webpage from the previous century... and their address looks pretty run down in Google maps street view.. Maybe US distributor problems?
    http://www.orientalphotousa.com/sales.htm

Drew Wiley

The real deal was gone maybe twenty years ago, presumably when cadmium in the emulsion became banned. The relatively anemic replacement formula, which had a bellyflop of a Grade 4, is long gone by now too. The real marketing doom of these graded papers is the dramatic improvement in VC papers, not lack of overall paper demand. I loved the original Seagull G graded bromide, and Zone VI Brilliant Bromide; Some of today's VC options are equally rich, but much easier to use. If you want to try a premium VC paper that can mimic the depth of early Seagull, try Bergger Neutral Tone, then gold tone it to achieve a cool tone. Ilford MG Cooltone is also a very fine product, especially in 130 developer. And of course, if one wants a warmtone paper instead, MGWT is a wonderful product. MG Classic is a popular product, but somewhere in the middle, tone and depth and price wise; it won't give you a true cold tone if that is what you are after. There is no lack of good paper options. People just need to adapt. Looking at my own recent results, comparing the last of the classic premium graded FB papers, Ilfobrom Galerie, versus new graded options, I'd say that 90% of the time, the newer VC options win hands-down. And I am a very nitpicky printer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    ...When I returned to printing a couple of years ago, I was surprised to find Ilford's glossy surface had changed, becoming more like patent leather hi-gloss than the "air-dried gloss" it used to have. I'm sure it's popular, though not so much to my liking...
    +1. I laid in a supply of ADOX MCC 110 soon after its production was "paused" at the beginning of this year. Still shinier than I'd like, but at least tolerable.

Between paper and how Ilford sheet film has morphed into something that can't handle being processed in Jobo Expert drums without base side scratching/deposits, I've transitioned entirely to large format materials coated by Inoviscoat. Which is to say the MCC 110 along with Bergger Pancro 400. As if relying on HARMAN wasn't "all eggs in one basket" enough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1371.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	207260 Thanks for your comments Drew. I had a real soft spot for Brilliant when it was made by Guillemot/Boespflug. I do have a stash of Ilford warmtone which i'm pretty judicious about using. I'll take your word and give the Cooltone in 130 a try. I lucked out yesterday when a photographer from Calgary sold me 3 boxes of Oriental Seagull 16"x20" and delivered it to Canmore. & Yes the Bergger neutral tone is very nice.
    Last edited by Greg Y; 29-Aug-2020 at 17:23.

Update: I was in the Freestyle store yesterday and asked the nice salesperson what was the status of Oriental paper, and he said they didn't have it for awhile... I asked him if he could ask someone there if it's coming... He went into the back and asked a buyer if he knew... Buyer said they are still waiting for distributer to acknowledge shipping status, and mentioned distributer was fairly local, but they haven't written them off getting restocked yet...

So we wait...

Steve K

Thanks Steve - I hope the paper becomes available in the US again. I get the sense that it is a distribution problem and that, hopefully, it will be resolved.