Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Oriental Seagull paper gone too?

Is Oriental Seagull paper gone too?

I'm coming to the end of my stash of Oriental Seagull FB in several sizes. I noticed nobody has it in stock? Is it gone like the others before it? i wasn't sold on it, but got very good results with both Ansco 130 and LPD... different in a good way, than Ilford Classic....

Re: Is Oriental Seagull paper gone too?

b&h has it...

No one has had in stock for months. Calls and emails to the distributor have gone unanswered and I have no idea if this is a distribution problem o if they simply stpped making it.

Thanks Renato..... Enlarging paper stock is very low everywhere with not much selection. B&H pretty much only stocks Ilford and a little Aristo. It took them 3 months to get Foma 16x20 for me.....after advertising "2-4 weeks"

jvo ...... website shows nothing in stock everything back ordered or special order......

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    Thanks Renato..... Enlarging paper stock is very low everywhere with not much selection. B&H pretty much only stocks Ilford and a little Aristo. It took them 3 months to get Foma 16x20 for me.....after advertising "2-4 weeks"

jvo ...... website shows nothing in stock everything back ordered or special order......
    I have had good experience buying Foma and other papers from Freestyle. Oriental Paper is readily available in Japan and I have seen no notice of its discontinuation. Could be a distribution problem or who knows what...
    FYI: a member of this forum (Kumar) has offered to procure Oriental Paper.

Thanks Renato, Someone on the Rangefinder forum sent me a link to supply in Japan. The price was 19,900 Y ($188 USD for 100 sheets of 8x10)... without shipping. I certainly don't favour the paper that much....and that's before the added exchange rate to canadian dollars. It just seemed to quietly slip away, offering us one less choice. B&H advertised Foma as available in 2-4 weeks. After I ordered a number of boxes of 16x20 (payment in advance, non-cancellable, & buyer pays shipping).....it took 3 months to deliver the paper. In that case I was in the middle of a printing project and it did make a difference. It appears we have fewer choices for silver gelatin paper, with the uncertainty around Adox, and the long wait times and additional costs for Oriental, it appears using Ilford as the standard is the way to go.....if one seeks consistency in ones printing.

It is unsettling to read about so few choices in silver-gelatin papers these days. I’ve been using Ilford’s multi grade classic FB paper and am very happy with it. I hope Ilford, bless them, stay healthy for a long, long time.

I think major economic changes will have to occur before we get a paper revival in any way echoing the relative one in film. (I know we've lost more than we've gained, but at least we have seen a few new entrants in recent years.) Stay healthy, folks, it may be a while.

When I returned to printing a couple of years ago, I was surprised to find Ilford's glossy surface had changed, becoming more like patent leather hi-gloss than the "air-dried gloss" it used to have. I'm sure it's popular, though not so much to my liking; I don't know what occasioned the change. I print on WTF and use the gloss surface for contact proofs but little else.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

I’ve read that, although film sales are up, paper sales are either flat or declining a bit.
    We have lost so many great papers over the past 20 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    I’ve read that, although film sales are up, paper sales are either flat or declining a bit.
    "I just got the Leica M10 and all the ASPH lenses..... which scanner should i get to post on Instagram ;-).....
    '