Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Rear standard of my Linhof Technikardan 45S won't tilt. How can I fix this?

Help! Rear standard of my Linhof Technikardan 45S won't tilt. How can I fix this?

Hi all,

So the rear standard of my newly acquired Linhof Technikardan 45S won't tilt.

Here's an image of the rear standard so you can see what I'm talking about:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof Rear.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	206983

Usually, to tilt the rear standard forward or back, you have to pull the upper green lever down to loosen the tilt, then push the little metal lever (directly to the right of said green lever) to the left to unlock the detent.

In my case, I can pull down the green lever, but when I push the little metal lever to the left, the locking pin for the detent won't unlock, thus not allowing me to use any rear tilt.

It looks like the rear tilt detent locking pin is stuck.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Many thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Linhof Rear.jpg  

Re: Help! Rear standard of my Linhof Technikardan 45S won't tilt. How can I fix this?

I guess the obvious solution is to send it for a CLA. Bearing in mind it'll be a few years old by now, the rest of the camera would benefit too, not just the detent lock.

If you're in the LA area, it shouldn't be too hard to find a service centre......i'm sure Bob will be along soon with a recommendation soon.

Mike

Re: Help! Rear standard of my Linhof Technikardan 45S won't tilt. How can I fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    I guess the obvious solution is to send it for a CLA. Bearing in mind it'll be a few years old by now, the rest of the camera would benefit too, not just the detent lock.

If you're in the LA area, it shouldn't be too hard to find a service centre......i'm sure Bob will be along soon with a recommendation soon.
    You just send it in to Bob Watkins at Precision in N CA or to Laflex in S CA for a CLA.
    Mike

Bob Watkins/Precision Camera Works is in Fairfield CA. They don’t come any better. His website-

Precisioncameraworks.com

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Thank you all so much!

Do you think that this is something I can fix myself, perhaps by using some lubricating fluid or something, or would that be a disastrous idea?

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    Thank you all so much!

Do you think that this is something I can fix myself, perhaps by using some lubricating fluid or something, or would that be a disastrous idea?
    O, it isn’t.

Depends on how much you value the camera and how handy you are with tools!

Remember, these are precision instruments and don't take kindly to unskilled attempts to repair.

Mike

We once bought a Model A Ford that had been dipped in oil and parked in a field in PA

All metal parts were fine many years later
    Tin Can

Have a look at the tilt lock mechanism on the front standard. Take out the bellows so you can tilt the front standard as far as it will go. If it's able to tilt far enough it should expose the 0 position detent mechanism. Once it's visible you can activate the release lever to see what happens. This should give you a better idea how the system works, and what could be going wrong.

I don't have a Technikardan, but I had a look at the tilt dentent mechanism on my Technika. On the Technika, there's a spring loaded tapered ball on the tilting side, and a hole on the fixed standard. To disengage the tapered ball from the hole, a pin is pushed from the hole to push back the tapered ball to disengage it. The only way I can see this type of system failing is that the tapered ball becomes seized to it's holder and can't be pushed back. This could happen due to corrosion over time. If that's the case, then some lighter fluid may help to free things up.

Also, are you sure you're activating the release mechanism properly? I had a look at the Technikardan user manual, and it says to push in the release button, not move it to the left.

If you try to use some lighter fluid, I'd remove the back and bellows to avoid any chance of contaminating the ground glass or bellows. The lighter fluid has a very light lubricant, and evaporates quickly without excessive residue. Obviously, don't do this while smoking, and make sure you're in a well ventilated area.

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    Thank you all so much!

I have a TK 45S, and was talking about it with Austin Calhoon at Laflex Camera Service, who specializes in Linhof cameras and other gear (and was suggested to you as a repair service option above). This was when I was buying another (beautifully) refurbished Linhof studio camera from Austin, but he mentioned that one of the things you NEVER want to do with the TK45 or 45S is somehow damage either the front, or rear, main L-shaped brackets that form and support the film and lens standards. If you damage them somehow so they need to be replaced, those parts are hard to get and cost about $2K (each I think) for new replacement parts. One of these 45S cameras in really nice used condition can be purchased for around $1.5K, so if you were to somehow damage your rear standard so that it became bent or misshapen, then you've effectively ruined your 45S (or turned it into a parts donor). I'd follow Mr. Salomon's advice and send it either to Bob Watkins, or Austin Calhoon at Laflex.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo