Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shot abandonment

Re: Shot abandonment

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Other times the air is still, but there will be big drops of water occasionally hitting a fern.
    Ah yes, mist drops and dew drops falling in a virgin forest.

Release cable in hand, I've watched sword ferns taking direct hits – one here, one there, one everywhere – until finally abandoning the shot due to all the dancing ferns.

Don't get me wrong – this is a very pleasant, soothing sound. One of the most beautiful sounds, I think, in a forest of giant trees. Unless, that is, the drops are falling on your tent's taut rain fly, with those magnified "splats," and you're tying to sleep. I'd rather hear a huffing bear outside my tent. ;^)

Shot abandonment, numerous times.

Most often happens outdoors. From changes in lighting to not ok with the GG image and a long list of reasons.

IMO, part of what causes Shot abandonment is knowing what the print might or would be and knowing taking that image over the course
    of that resource intensive process is not going to achieve the image goal intended. This intuition can come from burning LOTs of film and
    making LOTs of images over many decades of image making.

Bernice

About the time the clothes come off (removing the dark slide), stopping is...very difficult.

But before that point, the desire switch is a fickle thing.

Too perfect to attempt to preserve only in memory? Huh?

Rick "ignoring the desire switch at his peril" Denney

\Abandoned shots:

When that happens, for me it is often a conflict between what I "see" is the shot and what I can get on the Ground Glass. Usually this is some DOF issue. IK also have a te4ndency to "like" a composition involving shooting directly into the light I have dione this over and over . . .have to trtain myself out of looking aty some of these compositions.

Many years ago now, I was a regular attendee at a monthly print critique meeting of a camera club. The "judges" were different each month and the standards of criticism varied wildly . . .which I found to be OK as it taught me to develop and then trust my judgement as I learned more about LF photography.

One month, I submitted a a color image of a doorway in an adobe building somewhere in the American South-West; bright sunlight, deep shadows and subdued pastels. I had spent some time scouting then setting up the short . . .and waited for the shadows to fall just right. The judge that month put the matted print up on the lighted easel, looked at it for maybe 10-15 seconds and said, " Well sometimes you just have to pass on a shot and move on. Next print please." I still like that image, but always recall the stastement when setting up.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

The light flickers through fleeting clouds
    Delicate flora ebb and flow with the breeze
    ASA 50, dammit

Zebra

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    About the time the clothes come off (removing the dark slide), stopping is...very difficult.

But before that point, the desire switch is a fickle thing.

Too perfect to attempt to preserve only in memory? Huh?

Rick "ignoring the desire switch at his peril" Denney

The man bent over his guitar,
    A shearsman of sorts. The day was green.

They said, "You have a blue guitar,
    You do not play things as they are."

The man replied, "Things as they are
    Are changed upon the blue guitar."

And they said then, "But play, you must,
    A tune beyond us, yet ourselves,

A tune upon the blue guitar
    Of things exactly as they are."

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Ah yes, mist drops and dew drops falling in a virgin forest.
    I am learning to appreciate such things even more...and if it all works together as an image, I allow some movement, some dancings of ferns, to denote the passing of time...or just let the whole thing go (see below, 8x10 carbon print)

My last backpack on Redwood Creek (July 4th) I was semi-surprised by heavy wet fog my last morning...so getting a little wet was not big deal. Some folks might have classified it as rain, but it is more like being in a cloud with water condensing out of the air around you. Made a few prints (5x7 pt/pd) a couple days ago, some from that trip...hope to do more tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hwy299TreeWind.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Beautiful Vaughn. Iagree the slight motion adds to the presence of the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I've been on the plains of Alberta, Canada, searching up-and-down for our fellow member Jim Kitchen.
    Ah, Jim Kitchen! When you found the tripod holes were you also blessed with amazing clouds, or did they leave with him? I've often wondered what happened to that guy - a bit cantankerous at times, but a great photographer.

Recent "abandonment issues" were involving clouds moving in front of the sun before shutter time... Raced to get rig set-up, watched quality of light starting to change, then just as I grabbed cable release, sun hides behind cloud and nice shadows disappeared... One shot I waited 25 minutes for sun to break out, but noticed the movement of the cloud was spinning in front of sun like a merry-go-round, and I bust out laughing to myself!!! Finally a shaft of horizontal late day light came through, not as good as what I first saw, but took the shot anyway...

Steve K