Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ULF Film Holder - Carrying Options

ULF Film Holder - Carrying Options

I’d love to hear about / see your carrying solutions in the field.

I’m paranoid about pressure on my darkslides and causing leaks. If I’m working near the car it isn’t an issue but if out in the field I have a whole slew of solutions that kind of work but are suspect at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: ULF Film Holder - Carrying Options

I have a laptop case that holds two 11x14 holders, with closed-cell padding (cut-up old backpacking pad) on both sides. Pockets for notebook, cable release, meter. Carrying handle and padded strap for over the shoulder.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I have a laptop case that holds two 11x14 holders, with closed-cell padding (cut-up old backpacking pad) on both sides. Pockets for notebook, cable release, meter. Carrying handle and padded strap for over the shoulder.
    Am I overly cautious about any pressure against the slides? Obviously pin-point pressure should be avoided but what about general pressure across the holders slides ?

I bought a made in China soft sided bag with padded dividers, designed for 5-11X14" holders

Works great with the sturdy handle and not too heavy. I like it!

In studio the same holders go in container store hardboard boxes that hold 3 flat in my rolling shooting table

Unfortunately both options are no longer made

My 3-14X17" holders are stored in their original shipping boxes

I have a very old 11x14 glass plate holder that is very warped from poor storage long ago...sad

Almost forgot, my 3-7X17" holders are in custom made padded sleeves made by Daniel Stone, a member here

Contact Dan

Lastly a few years ago I bought a pile of 8X20" anti-static bags selling excess to members, they are very good at sealing out dust and not attracting it
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I bought a made in China soft sided bag with padded dividers, designed for 5-11X14" holders

Works great with the sturdy handle and not too heavy. I like it!

In studio the same holders go in container store hardboard boxes that hold 3 flat in my rolling shooting table

Unfortunately both options are no longer made

My 3-14X17" holders are stored in their original shipping boxes

I have a very old 11x14 glass plate holder that is very warped from poor storage long ago...sad

Almost forgot, my 3-7X17" holders are in custom made padded sleeves made by Daniel Stone, a member here

Contact Dan

Lastly a few years ago I bought a pile of 8X20" anti-static bags selling excess to members, they are very good at sealing out dust and not attracting it
    I have sleeves from Dan for my 810’s, they’re nice but I wouldn’t call them padded, at least mine aren’t.

+1 on Daniel’s film holder sleeves. I also have them for my 7x17 holders. https://www.stonephotogear.com/. I sent him the dimensions for mine and they fit great. Daniel has an interesting business model, he makes all his products on demand, so custom sized film holder sleeves are no problem. He also has standard sizes for the more common formats. Quality is very high and lead time is good.

The yellow Item in the photo is a foam core mockup of my film holder that Daniel made to ensure that they fit the sleeve properly.

I wanted to add that my sleeves are definitely padded.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 378C8E4F-08D9-47B2-A2A3-CFBF02445FEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Roger Thoms; 20-Aug-2020 at 05:58. Reason: Additionally info

Early production was quilted

Flap by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    Am I overly cautious about any pressure against the slides? Obviously pin-point pressure should be avoided but what about general pressure across the holders slides ?

The closed-cell foam is dense and while one can not slam it down on a spike and expect to be protected, if you treat the laptop bag as if there is a laptop in it, then no problem. One could slide in a couple of sheets of thin puncture-proof material with the foam to prevent all pressure.

Several of my 11x14 Fidelity holders have what were sold as 'Unbreakable' darkslides -- metal, in other words. Some of my 8x10s do also. As I am packing up holders for an excursion, if the transport situation is at all iffy -- the metal darkslides will face the danger. I also have the sleeves TC has below.

I tried to find a link, but someone had asked about a padded bag designed to fit into a hard case -- zipped up and had a handle.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    The closed-cell foam is dense and while one can not slam it down on a spike and expect to be protected, if you treat the laptop bag as if there is a laptop in it, then no problem. One could slide in a couple of sheets of thin puncture-proof material with the foam to prevent all pressure.

Several of my 11x14 Fidelity holders have what were sold as 'Unbreakable' darkslides -- metal, in other words. Some of my 8x10s do also. As I am packing up holders for an excursion, if the transport situation is at all iffy -- the metal darkslides will face the danger. I also have the sleeves TC has below.

I tried to find a link, but someone had asked about a padded bag designed to fit into a hard case -- zipped up and had a handle.
    I have new Ritter 1114’s and have yet to test their battle proofness.

I uses a cooler/thermos pack, it fits 4(11x14) holders and the thermos outer layer provides enough everyday protection. I have no idea where this cooler bag came from, but it has Caesars Atlantic logo on it.