Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoke smoke everywhere

Drew Wiley

Re: Smoke smoke everywhere

John - the bad news is that the fire is now moving north and seems to be just about to overtake Jackass Mdws, Clover Mdw, Norris Cr TH, Granite Cr, etc. Hard to say beyond that uphill, since there's quite a bit of rock, and healthy firs predominate rather than dead pines, but still with a lot of old downfall present. They're expecting it to get very active due to increased winds in the deep canyons upriver from Mammoth Pool. Eventually that pinches itself off with a lot of nearly bare cliffs and what already burned a year or two ago. If it turns the other way again from there however, and hits the massive pine plateau beyond Kaiser Pk, all hell will break loose. They've been trying to establish a defensible line in between. And now with a bit of smoke clearing, they can start using planes effectively.

While looking up Arthur Tress I found the fire proof California houses

Nixon had one early on

Pure genius, almost adobe strength

Whittier Hugheston Meadows

This link shows some history and how they were made

This one shows many actual homes

but you still need clean air

I think we need to retreat to caves
    Tin Can

The upper atmosphere here in Maine is turning slightly golden orange as smoke comes in from the west.

Drew Wiley

The achilles heel of real adobe is any kind of roof leak. They dissolve. They're not structurally solid either. I don't know where you got that idea. And plenty of them have burned down. Just look at what has happened to most Calif. mission structures. But they are wonderfully comfortable in hot weather. Now what you can build (though not in earthquake areas - the bldg codes won't allow it) is rammed-earth construction with internal reinforcement. I know a contractor who built his personal retirement home into a natural sandstone cave or deep alcove, and added a reinforced abode front. He made all the bricks and flooring himself out of local clay materials, so it all blends into the natural setting. The very thick natural "roof" has lots of wildflowers and commuting coyotes. I've heard of that kind of thing being done in Arizona too, and have seen a few analogous "cave dwellings" in the red sandstone country of Utah. Other than scorpions, these seem like about as safe dwellings as one could imagine. No back door exit or view out the back, however.

Drew Wiley

The achilles heel of real adobe is a roof leak. They dissolve. They're not structurally solid either. I don't know where you got that idea. And plenty of them have burned down. Just look at what has happened to most Calif. mission structures. But they are wonderfully comfortable in hot weather. Now what you can build (though not in earthquake areas - the bldg codes won't allow it) is rammed-earth construction with internal reinforcement. I know a contractor who built his personal retirement home into a natural sandstone cave or deep alcove, and added a reinforced abode front. He made all the bricks and flooring himself out of local clay materials, so it all blends into the natural setting. The very thick natural "roof" has lots of wildflowers and commuting coyotes. I've heard of that kind of thing being done in Arizona too, and have seen a few analogous "cave dwellings" in the red sandstone country of Utah. Other than scorpions, these seem about as safe a kind of dwelling as one could imagine.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Both the indoor and outdoor AQI are in the GREEN at my house!

Same here! Woo-hoo!

(Shrek)

People might not be ready to hear this, but at some point, as with low-lying coastal cities, some parts of the West Coast interior will no longer be habitable and people will have to relocate. And that time is soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    People might not be ready to hear this, but at some point, as with low-lying coastal cities, some parts of the West Coast interior will no longer be habitable and people will have to relocate. And that time is soon.
    They can sing OKLAHOMA as they drive and walk back to Tulsa?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Drew Wiley

Yes, Willie, the sea-level is rising, and its going to be very expensive to seawall certain urban areas; but Florida and Louisiana are going to have a vastly bigger problem with that. Most of our coastline is actually cliffs. Oklahoma now statistically has more earthquakes than California due to localized geological collapse due to fracking. And the southern plains have indeed had some very serious duststorms already in the past several years, reminiscent of dust bowl days, with clouds dumping dust far and wide. But my standard joke is about real estate prices out here, which is why techies are strapping all their earthly belonging atop their BMW's and driving to Oklahoma to find work there! If Steinbeck were alive he'd write a novel about it : The Chips of Wrath (computer chips).