Smoke smoke everywhere

here in CA because of wild fires!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turtleback.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	206963
    From the Yosemite webcam at Turtleback Dome facing El Capitan and Half Dome
    An arsonist started a fire in Big Sur, there are fires in Napa and SoCal and we can smell smoke here in Fresno.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Smoke smoke everywhere

Not too bad right here right now in NW CA...but we have fires going not far to the north...and my son might get called out for fire camp duty down south out of Fort Bragg.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Fires are rampant in Calif. and Oregon.

Here in Wash. state, we've been spared the worst (for now).

Does every LFer heading into dry woods check with their local forest service office before heading in?

And if you do, and learn of no active dangers, then head into the forest and smell smoke, do you know smart steps to take?

Here's an older thread I remember with ideas from our more experienced forest trekkers:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ighlight=smoke

Me, I avoid the loneliest areas of Wash. state when fire danger is high, even when no fires are active.

I closely follow most fires, especially CA as I have friends there

The west is on fire and I think I can smell smoke over here by the Mississippi

Be quick and careful, we each get one life...
    Tin Can

Tough times for all of you in California. Recently I witnessed the Bighorn Fire (which burned for five weeks in the mountains above Tucson). I'd never seen a forest fire before, much less had one threaten the town where I lived. No homes were burned by the Bighorn (it was all at higher altitudes in the National Forest). Still, it was an unsettling experience for this ex-easterner to see the huge clouds of smoke and the fires burning in V-shaped lines down the valleys.
    I hope you all can stay safe and remain unharmed!

Clear here so far this morning, but only because of an on-shore wind pushing everything eastward.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown has just issued a state of emergency due to the state's fires.

They're popping-up all over the Cascade Mountains and growing fast.

Here's a look at Oregon's ongoing Green Ridge Fire (source: Inciweb):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oregon fire.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	206978

"Terrifying, let's please stay home," my wooden Ries tripod thinks.

We had a eerie red sun this morning in San Fernando Valley. Fires to the north and to the east of here. There is a hint of smoke in the air.

I see evacuation orders for Fairfield CA have been listed; I'd been thinking of Bob Watkins and Precision Camera Works. Don't know his exact location in the Greater Fairfield Metropolitan Area (if such a term can be applied). The address given on his website is a UPS store "nearby the shop."

David

Drew Wiley

I'm hoping to use some of that haze creatively with color film. But it's pretty unhealthy too; so I'm going to hike strictly on the east side of the Sierra where the fires have been minimal so far. The air was perfectly fine along the Bay here until about noon yesterday. We'd had two utterly weird days of high winds and lightning. I didn't get any of the kind of record heat they got inland. No apparent fires right after all the lighting either. But then, they suspect that smoldering things due to lightning were why things suddenly sprung up yesterday, and with the winds involved, one of the two really big fires went from zero to over a hundred thousand acres in just a matter of hours across the River, with another big fire in the Santa Cruz mountains. I had to go to the airport, and the drive had an amazing orange and brown sunset. Worst smoke I've ever seen around here. The ocean breeze is starting to clear it out now, but it might settle back in when the wind stops after dark. Fairfield might be in big trouble at the moment; I'll check the evening news. Hwy 80 toward Reno closed. ... I'm sort of right in the middle of the air quality at the moment : opaque brown skies to the East, clearing distinctly blue sky toward the West, a bit of distinct smoke odor still in the air, but no lung irritation.