Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: DOF and diffraction

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,388

    Re: DOF and diffraction

    Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Yes, when the desired light is about to change or disappear, this is an approach that has allowed me to take home a satisfying (if not perfect) shot, rather than none at all.

    Other times, the "Chance favors the prepared" proverb has led me to the "how," just in the nick of time, in the face of fleeting time.



    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was a limb.
    How far into the scene was the limb?

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    302

    DOF and diffraction

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    How far into the scene was the limb?
    I didn't record those details, but here's a rough sketch and ballpark distances thanks to google maps. Shot with a 300mm lens in 4x5.
    The shot I uploaded was focused on the "tree", yes. The other two: one in the near foreground of the curving rock, and the other one on the background rock formation (I didn't upload those).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch_pic.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	206997

    (please don't judge me on my poor sketching abilities :-) )

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,388

    Re: DOF and diffraction

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I didn't record those details, but here's a rough sketch and ballpark distances thanks to google maps. Shot with a 300mm lens in 4x5.
    The shot I uploaded was focused on the "tree", yes. The other two: one in the near foreground of the curving rock, and the other one on the background rock formation (I didn't upload those).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch_pic.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	206997

    (please don't judge me on my poor sketching abilities :-) )
    You should have been focused ⅓ into the scene to maximize DOF.

  4. #14
    Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Humboldt County, CA
    Posts
    7,844

    Re: DOF and diffraction

    I think I have been there.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    302

    Re: DOF and diffraction

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I think I have been there.
    Not a secret place by any means, it's the Hall of Horrors in Joshua Tree NP :-)

  6. #16
    Land-Scapegrace Heroique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Wash.
    Posts
    2,644

    Re: DOF and diffraction

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Please don't judge me on my poor sketching abilities :- )
    I think your sketch is a fine job illustrating your shooting situation.

    Except, at the bottom of that forbidding abyss in front of your camera, I would have drawn the skeletons of park visitors and big animals that fell in and couldn't get out.

    I think the photo is fine even with the OOF elements. I especially like the tree's side lighting, and its shadowy background for the depth and contrast.

  7. #17
    Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Humboldt County, CA
    Posts
    7,844

    Re: DOF and diffraction

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Not a secret place by any means, it's the Hall of Horrors in Joshua Tree NP :-)
    I have been in there, but was thinking of another spot. Everyone would approach the image differently...I was thinking of foreground rock and flower in focus and background way out of focus to pop the flower.

    But don't mind me -- I think this was taken in the same area (8x10) -- can't say that it really works...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JoshuaShallowFocas.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 22-Aug-2020 at 14:35.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    302

    Re: DOF and diffraction

    Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I think your sketch is a fine job illustrating your shooting situation.

    Except, at the bottom of that forbidding abyss in front of your camera, I would have drawn the skeletons of park visitors and big animals that fell in and couldn't get out.

    I think the photo is fine even with the OOF elements. I especially like the tree's side lighting, and its shadowy background for the depth and contrast.
    Thanks! Yes, the shot can work without having everything in focus. Could have easily shot at f11-f13 to gain a bit more sharpness and force more elements into OOF. But I donít really like the bokeh of that lens that much and also I was looking for everything in focus because the color already offers enough contrast/separation between the elements (otherwise Iíd have shot it in b&w). But itís a matter of taste; getting everything in focus was my vision, not necessarily everyoneís or a requirement.

Similar Threads

  1. Optimizing diffraction and DOF
    By feppe in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28-Apr-2012, 09:54
  2. No more diffraction??
    By Wally in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2009, 10:01
  3. About Diffraction
    By Chad Shindel in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 8-May-2006, 16:11
  4. Diffraction
    By Douglasa A. Benson in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15-Oct-2001, 18:37
  5. Diffraction limits
    By Shen45 in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Dec-1999, 14:22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •