Thread: Devere 504 timer advice

Devere 504 timer advice

I'm thinking to pick up a Devere 504 Mark 4 with Dichromat head + transtab. These aren't cheap (anymore ) and so I'm try to do my homework on this.

Does anyone know if I can use a standard timer with it? In fact it an f-stop timer I've built myself and find just works perfectly for my workflow (currently printing 6x6 only), so I'm not keen to give it up.

Any advice appreciated

Re: Devere 504 timer advice

You can use your standard timer with it IF you get the right cord. Check with Second Hand Darkroom in the UK.

I cannot be sure of a home made timer but I know of two users that use other than Devere timers. My Omega timer works fine.

Thank you - I found a cord at RH Designs, expensive but should work. Failing that also found the pin diagram and could fabricate something, though I'd rather not. My home made timer should be fine, its a 250W bulb which in the UK only draws 1A, the SSR relays can handle that.

I use an RH Analyzer Pro timer with my De Vere 5108 and the RH cord. Works like a charm. Post a photo when you get it

L

The DeVere timer plug isn’t actually proprietary, it’s a Bulgin PX0551 plug, which you should be able to get at one of the larger online electronics suppliers. I sourced one from mouser and made my own adapter for much less than buying one costs.

Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post
    Thank you - I found a cord at RH Designs, expensive but should work. Failing that also found the pin diagram and could fabricate something, though I'd rather not. My home made timer should be fine, its a 250W bulb which in the UK only draws 1A, the SSR relays can handle that.
    I don’t think you’ll need to worry about the relays in your timer. When I made my cable (though mine is a 5108, I think they are the same) I took apart the control box which comes with the enlarger, to make sure I got the wiring correct, and the relay is actually in there. The way DeVere enlargers work is the control box takes power from the wall, sends some power out to the timer, and when it receives power back from the timer, that trips the relay, causing the control box to send full power to the head.

The way DeVere enlargers work is the control box takes power from the wall, sends some power out to the timer, and when it receives power back from the timer, that trips the relay, causing the control box to send full power to the head.
    Thanks, that's great to know. I guess I'll have to make a few changes to the timer since mine switches between the power and the enlarger/transformer, but straight forward enough.