Thread: DSLR scanning with Kaiser Slimlite Plano 5000K question

DSLR scanning with Kaiser Slimlite Plano 5000K question

I will be doing some test with a Apo Rodagon D 75mm that is optimized work between f4 and f5.6
    My question is regarding the output Brightness of the lightbox. Maybe someone here tested it and can tell me that is enough for iso 160 and a decent shutter speed.
    I see that negative supply is selling some lightboxes that they claim are 9x brighter but the price is out of my budget

thanks

Re: DSLR scanning with Kaiser Slimlite Plano 5000K question

Using the 8x11 size Kaiser Slimlite Plano and a full-frame mirrorless camera for copying B&W negatives at near 1:1 reproduction ratio, camera at ISO 100 and lens at f/4, I'm getting shutter speeds in the range 1/10-1/25, depending on negative density. So even allowing for possible differences in camera ISO calibration, aperture, magnification, and negative or transparency density compared to my setup, shutter speed shouldn't be a problem - no need to spend a lot more for a brighter box.

You just need a stable rig for longer shutter speeds. Also if you're using a DSLR make sure you're using something like 'electronic first curtain' shutter (that's what Nikon calls it). If it's actually a mirrorless see if you have an electronic shutter mode, or an EFCS mode. Shutter shock can be an issue on certain cameras, and you want to eliminate that possibility.

The NS boxes are not shipping yet AFAIK so the Kaiser is the game at the moment, unless you want to build a diffusion box for strobes.

So a qualification to my comment is in order. EFCS or full electronic shutter is important. If you're using an older DSLR that doesn't have it, then depending on the particulars of your camera and your camera support it's at least conceivable that slowish speeds like the range I'm using might induce some mechanical resonance in your system and cause trouble. If you do run into that, and want to stay at your optimal aperture, then you need either some neutral density to make your speeds slower, more light to make them faster, or a different camera. It's possible to set the Kaiser panel for an intensity lower than maximum, but it's really fiddly to set the same intermediate level consistently.

Thanks for the info, I guess the kaiser is the option at least to start testing and see what works for me

Foamer

What about a camera stand? I want to digi scan 8x10 with multiple shots using macro lens, then stitch.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    What about a camera stand? I want to digi scan 8x10 with multiple shots using macro lens, then stitch.

Kent in SD
    Kaiser is the world leader in copy stands and lighting. If you want to stitch they also have camera arms that have adjustable positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post

Kent in SD
    I will be scanning 4x5 and also want to make multiple shots to stich. Still looking for a good setup for this.
    I think it is better to find a way to move the film holder with precition and leave the camera always in the same place