Thread: Linhof Master Technika Question

Linhof Master Technika Question

Hi, I have a question for the Linhof Master Technika Classic gurus.

On this camera, can I use a non telephoto 360mm lens?

I looked at the specs on the Linhof website at http://linhof.com/en/master-technika-classic/ and it would appear this is the case, but I talked to a guy that said you definitely need a telephoto lens for the 360mm to work.

Can someone confirm one way or the other?

Thanks

Re: Linhof Master Technika Question

Well, my Linhof Technika V with a triple extension bellows could focus my Nikkor W 300mm at infinity, but there wasn't much draw left to focus closer.

That is very helpful and you bring up a really good point that I should have considered. Thanks for sharing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrenched View Post
    Well, my Linhof Technika V with a triple extension bellows could focus my Nikkor W 300mm at infinity, but there wasn't much draw left to focus closer.

A lens like a Symmar or Sironar series 360 has a rear element that is too large to fit through the hole in the front standard and, should you mount it by first removing the rear element it still would not mount to the standard unless you use the z board for the 240mm as it would not lock properly to the body.
    Your choices are teles or process 360mm. How close you could focus will depend on the ffl of the specific lens.

Thank you Bob. I always appreciate your knowledge.

When I look at my lens options and determine the flange focal length (ffl), how do I use that determine how close I could focus in lay terms without need a degree in algebra?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    A lens like a Symmar or Sironar series 360 has a rear element that is too large to fit through the hole in the front standard and, should you mount it by first removing the rear element it still would not mount to the standard unless you use the z board for the 240mm as it would not lock properly to the body.
    Your choices are teles or process 360mm. How close you could focus will depend on the ffl of the specific lens.

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Hi, I have a question for the Linhof Master Technika Classic gurus.

On this camera, can I use a non telephoto 360mm lens?

I looked at the specs on the Linhof website at http://linhof.com/en/master-technika-classic/ and it would appear this is the case, but I talked to a guy that said you definitely need a telephoto lens for the 360mm to work.

Can someone confirm one way or the other?

Thanks
    Hello, I use a Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 9/360 in a Compur Electronic 3 shutter. But you will get problems with a convertible Symmar. The flange to film distances of the rear elements are indeed much longer than their focal lengths.
    Last edited by Daniel Casper Lohenstein; 21-Aug-2020 at 00:09.

http://www.erik-krause.de/schaerfe.htm : they compute everthing (in german)

Like Daniel at Post #6, I use a 360mm APO-Ronar f9 (though in a Copal 3 shutter) with my Master Technika or my MT 2000 without any problems for landscape photography where the subject is usually at infinity or nearly there. My MTs have the standard bellows which extend out to somewhat over 400mm (almost to 420mm I think), so with Bob Salomon's advice taken I think you could consider a 360mm lens for your MT if you choose wisely.

P.S. I have two Arca-Swiss style plates on each of my MT cameras, one on the bottom of the rear standard, and one on the underside of the camera's bed. When I use my 300mm Nikkor M or 360mm APO-Ronar lenses, or my Fujinon 400T or 600T lenses, I generally mount the camera on my tripod's clamp using the plate that is under the camera bed. That plate under the bed provides a better and more secure center of gravity when you have to extend the bellows out to 300mm or more while using those lenses.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Wrenched View Post
    I find this a bit surprising. The triple extension bellows on a Technika should have a maximum extension of 430mm. Playing around on this calculator

https://apenasimagens.com/en/focal-l.../?preview=true

I see that 330mm extension is needed for a 300mm lens focusing on a subject at 3m distance.

I would of thought the technika would handle a 300mm long focus lens at all subject distances comfortably. I don’t have the camera or a 300mm lens, but will soon buy a Technika V and a 300mm lens is on my radar (most likely Nikkor M f9 version).

FranciscanFriarsShrineLMT_Nikkor_Q_300_TriX002 by Maryland Photos, on Flickr

Nikkor-Q 300 is my longest lens (not counting a 360 telephoto) and works just fine. Took some more yesterday with that lens and the bellows sure had to be extended a lot. I didn't measure it yesterday but reading Master Technika specs one should be able to get out to 430mm. http://linhof.com/master-technika-classic-2/